Switching to 1Password.com from 1Password for Windows

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: How can I restrict a search to one vault in 1Password 8?.

Comments

• itsmark
    itsmark
    Community Member
    Options

I was going to say this is ridiculous and then found Ctrl + Alt + F (on Windows) displayed an otherwise hidden search panel that allows just the selected vault to be searched. We're not just Mac users ;)

Can you also confirm an easy way (from the desktop app) to switch to the equivalent 1Password web portal, which can sometimes be useful compared to using the desktop interface. There appears to be no easy way of switching or a shortcut?

• ag_mike_d
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hello @itsmark,

Thanks so much for your question and comments. I'm sorry you had a difficult time finding the Find (Ctrl + Alt + F) option. I'll include a few links below that you my find helpful for searching 1Password:

The 1Password.com web portal requires you to sign in separately through a browser window and there is no option to do so directly from the desktop app. Our Product team is always looking to make improvements to help align your experience across all platforms and instances 1Password. Could you let us know:

• What problem would having a this type of feature in the desktop app solve?
    • If this isn't possible, what features are you missing in the desktop that are currently available on 1Password.com?

Any additional feedback you can share would greatly appreciated and I'd be happy to pass it along to the team. Thanks!

• itsmark
    itsmark
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for coming back to me and for the useful information.

Really, the request it just from frustration when I've got to know the web interface and have then switched to the Windows desktop app and not been able to quickly find a feature.

In fact the frustration has mainly come from the browser plugin, which is great but sometimes you just quickly want to go to the web portal to better navigate your vaults and entries. If you've switched to desktop integration there is no longer an easy way to do this from the browser plug-in. Equally, when desktop integration is not enabled, it would be nice to have a shortcut from the plugin that takes you straight to the web portal, otherwise I often ended up clicking the ellipsis and then editing an item and cancelling just to get to the web portal.
    You might ask, why would you want this when a web shortcut can be easily saved but once you close the tab this closes the session and then you need to re-enter your master password, compared to going through the "Edit" entry from the plug-in that would sign you in automatically.

Sorry I'm pushed for time (as usual) but hopefully this makes sense. Quite possibly I'm missing a feature, shortcut or I'm just not using the system in the correct way.

Any helpful hints, tips or corrections gladly received :)

• Hello @itsmark,

I appreciate the additional feedback and I'm sorry to hear this feature request has come from some frustrations between the use of the web portal, 1Password in the browser and the desktop integration. I understand your point about needing to re-enter your account password after closing this browser session and I have passed your thoughts along to the team.

We can certainly understand how important your time is and that you have become accustomed to using 1Password.com versus the desktop app. When you have a few minutes to spare, let us know what features attracted you to 1Password.com versus using the desktop app and how could this be improved in the desktop app to better align your experience with that of the web portal. This feedback would be most helpful for the Product team when considering features and updates.

Looking forward to your reply.

ref: 29920349

• itsmark
    itsmark
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply and I don't mean to side track you question but another problem that has just come up, is how do you filter by item type for a specific vault in the Windows version? For instance how would you search for "Wireless Router" items in a specific vault because as soon as you select the vault, it becomes unselected when you select the type....in fact having just tried, I can't even see the different types any more??? Just "All Items, Favourites and Watchtower", I'm sure they use to be there?

I'm am IT consultant and use a lot of software all day long but have to confess that I'm finding the 1Password Windows software very pleasing aesthetically but very unintuitive and hence frustrating to use. This is why I keep switching back to the Web app but then use the edit function on any item, just so I can quickly login without authentication each time.

I'm sure half of the problem is me and not having enough time to RTFM ;) but hopefully by venting my frustration to someone that's listening and knows much more than me, I might short track finding the right information to read!

Thanks for any information you can give and please feel free to correct me where wrong.

• Hello @itsmark,

Happy to help today.

You mentioned

how do you filter by item type for a specific vault in the Windows version?

To filter by item type for a specific vault:

1. Open 1Password 8 for Windows app.
    2. Select the vault you wish to filter the items in.
    3. Click the "All Categories" drop down list and select "Wireless Routers".

This will display a list of all the Wireless Routers in that vault. I created a new vault (Test vault A) with only Wireless Router items in it to demonstrate this. See example below:

Let me know how that works out for you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jermaine

• itsmark
    itsmark
    Community Member
    Options

I stand very corrected - Thank you!

• Hello again @itsmark,

I'm happy to hear that Jermaine was able to assist you with this functionality of locating items by category.

If you have any further questions about features in the app, just let us know. We'll be here to help!

• itsmark
    itsmark
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I'm hoping this support thread may help others and so with that in mind...
    Ctrl + Alt + F in Windows is great, to search within the selected Vault...how do you achieve the same thing in Android 1Password 8?

We have many, many names that are only unique within a vault, so searching by name will bring up a long list and unless I'm missing something obvious, this does not seem to be easily achieved from the Android App?? Quite probably I'm missing something easy like before but search could not find an answer.

• Hello again @itsmark,

Sorry for the delay.

Our guide, Search 1Password to find what you need, explains searching across different platforms. Currently, this Find option is not available on 1Password for Android.

As a workaround, have you yet looked into using collections to create custom groups of vaults? You noted that many names are only unique within a specific vault. If you create different collections and include a vault or multiple vaults, does this help narrow these types of searches, once you've selected a newly created collection?

I hope this is helpful, but if you have any further questions or additional feedback, please let us know. Thanks!

• itsmark
    itsmark
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

That's a real shame. Unfortunately, I do not want to have to create collections as a workaround, so will have to live with it for now, in the hope this will be fixed in an upcoming release?

Should I request for this to be added to the roadmap or is it already added?

• Hello @itsmark,

I'm sorry that I don't have any news to share, but I have let the Product team know that a feature similar to Find would be welcome in 1Password for Android. We appreciate the additional feedback.

ref: 30334677

This discussion has been closed.