Date format is incorrect in 1Password for Mac

Comments

• jcocula
    jcocula
    Community Member

My region is and has been Ireland, so dates should not have shown in U.S. format. But now my suspicion is that the application responds to Mac events on region changes, but retains some old region setting if it was changed when 1Password wasn't running and therefore did not receive the system event. 1Password might not be making sure on startup that its retained region information still agrees with the system setting.
    In my case, I was able to fix the date formatting by changing region while 1Password was running. I also upgraded to 8.9.13 in the meantime.

• @Mr_V,

If you're comfortable sharing, could I confirm which region is set in your macOS settings? I've also seen some reports of this change behaving better when made while the app remains open, so give that a try and let me know if you see any improvements.

@BusterBill,

Thanks for surfacing this. I can't speak to how times are handled by the OS and app compared to dates, but I can certainly understand how they're related so I'll make a note of this for the rest of the team. I'd be happy to see a 24-hour time in 1Password as well. 😊

@Snesco,

I tested this locally and saw the same results, odd indeed. Could you give Canada a try and let me know if you see any better results?

ref: dev/core/core#8747

• Thanks so much for sharing these details, @jcocula, I've shared them with the rest of the team. Glad to hear you've got things sorted on your end, we'll continue working on improving this. 🙂

• Mr_V
    Mr_V
    Community Member

Hi @andrew.l_1P

My Mac is in "expat mode" — region set to Germany, language to English. I'm attaching a screenshot of the relevant System Settings page.

Currently my setting of AppleICUDateFormatStrings in the global domain is:

{
        1 = "y-MM-dd";
        4 = "EEEE, d MMMM y";
    }

As you can see, I only have keys 1 (short date) and 4 (full date) set. I've been meaning to set 2 and 3 as well to see if that makes a difference to 1Password, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Regardless, I'm assuming that 1Password isn't actually reading a specific key here, since there are system API calls for getting the date in the correct format?

My AppleICUTimeFormatStrings is unset.

• Hi @Mr_V,

Thanks so much for these additional details! If you're open to some additional testing, could you tell me if changing your region to Canada shows any better results? Either way I've forwarded these details to our development team, thanks again!

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

Why is there even a suggestion to use system format? I feel that could be an option but also allow your format directly. Like today is 19th January 2023 so options should be as follows.
    1) 19 January 2023
    2) 19 Jan 2023
    3) DDMMMYYYY
    4) MMMDDYYYY
    5) YYYYMMMDD
    And all possible formats. I'm interested that month should be in alphabets so there's no confusion for dates. This should work with all regions in the world.
    You can also add galaxy time format of you're planning to get subscribe from there too.(this is on a lighter note).

• 1Passerby
    1Passerby
    Community Member

+1

This does not only happen with the creation and modification dates but also with all the fields, including expiry dates and dates of birth! The bug has been around for quite some time and both on the Mac OS app and the browser extension. On iOS it works normally and aligns to the regional setting. Please fix this...

• 1Passerby
    1Passerby
    Community Member

This is still a problem for me on 1Password for Mac 8.9.13 (80913040) and the Firefox extension (2.5.1).
    It is a VERY annoying issue.

• 1Passerby
    1Passerby
    Community Member

I have been struggling with the same issue for quite some time and I truly hope it will be finally fixed. All dates across 1P (Mac) and browser extension are in MM/DD/YYYY format even though the overall regional setting is DD/MM/YYYY.

Mac OS Ventura 13.1 (22C65)
    Firefox extension 2.5.1

• @vishalsheth,

The suggestion to try different regions it to help troubleshoot and determine if folks are experiencing the same behaviours. I agree the date format setting should take precedence here. 🙂

@1Passerby,

Sorry to hear you're not seeing these changes reflected in your app. Could you try a different region and making these adjustments while the app is open? Let me know if that produces better results!

• 1Passerby
    1Passerby
    Community Member

Hi @andrew.l_1P, I have tried with different regions, while the app is open and also double checked by quitting and reopening the app, but nothing changes. The date format remains MM/DD/YYYY, no matter which region is selected in the System Settings. And BTW, I am on a 24-hour time setting but 1P is stuck on AM/PM.

• gothick
    gothick
    Community Member

Just confirming that with 8.9.13 on Mac I'm seeing that this has finally been fixed for me: date format is now dd/mm/yyyy and time format is 24hr, as is set in my System Preferences (macOS 11.7.2). Thanks!

• @1Passerby,

Thanks for trying those steps, sorry to hear the issue persists. If you're open to continuing the search, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

You can attach it to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com that includes a link to this thread and your username. You'll receive an automated reply for that with a Support ID number which you can post here. That way I can link our conversations and we can take a look under the hood!

@gothick,

Thanks so much for the confirmation! I'm glad to hear things are displaying well on your end. 🎉

• 1Passerby
    1Passerby
    Community Member

Hi @andrew.l_1P,

Here it is: [#IHM-91488-255]

Thank you,
    1Passerby

• Snesco
    Snesco
    Community Member

@andrew.l_1P I reported my use case:
    [#GMC-82841-421]

Thanks.

• andrew.l_1P
    edited January 2023

Thank you both, I can confirm we've received them and you'll hear back as soon as possible if you haven't already. 🙂

ref: IHM-91488-255
    ref: GMC-82841-421

For other folks in this thread still seeing mixed results, try switching your region to Europe > United Kingdom and let me know if that helps. We're continuing to investigate this region/date format behaviour internally so thanks for sharing your results and your ongoing patience!

• BusterBill
    BusterBill
    Community Member

Switching region to Europe > United Kingdom displays 1P dates and times as I would like to see them.

• Thanks for testing that out and sharing your results, @BusterBill, much appreciated!

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member

+1 from me - I just got bitten by this in 1Password version 8.9.13 on macOS 13.1.
    When editing a secure note, the field for entering a date is in DDMMYYYY format, but when I finish editing, the date is displayed as MMDDYYYY. The "created" and "modified" dates are also in MMDDYYYY format. Looking forward to this being fixed.

• @hsafer

Can I ask what Region your Mac is currently set to in System Settings > Language & Region?

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member

Here is a screenshot of all the settings in Language & Region.

• @hsafer

Thanks for confirming that. Right now, it seems that if the Region is set to United Kingdom, dates will show as dd/mm/yyyy with 24-hour time, but for any other region, it'll use mm/dd/yyyy and 12-hour time.

Our development team are investigating why this is and are looking to address it as soon as they can.

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member

Thanks for the update @GreyM1P . It does sound odd, as others have mentioned. I look forward to seeing this fixed.

• Thanks again for reporting the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

Why is there even a suggestion to use system format? I feel that could be an option but also allow your format directly. Like today is 19th January 2023 so options should be as follows.
    1) 19 January 2023
    2) 19 Jan 2023
    3) DDMMMYYYY
    4) MMMDDYYYY
    5) YYYYMMMDD
    And all possible formats. I'm interested that month should be in alphabets so there's no confusion for dates. This should work with all regions in the world.
    You can also add galaxy time format of you're planning to get subscribe from there too.(this is on a lighter note).

• Hi @vishalsheth, apologies if I misunderstood the first time you posted this. It sounds like you would prefer to see an option to choose date formats within 1Password itself, is this correct? I'd be interested in understanding your use case better and how this would benefit you compared to the app using the system date format. Let me know and I'd be happy to record your feedback. 🙂

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

@andrew.l_1P
    It’s simple. The system could have any format or region. I’m interested in the date format that’s DDMMMYYYY. I may have changed my system format or for keyboard. The month has to appear in words only. So if I’m reading date on any format I cannot read the date wrong. The date could be fed in any format but still reads the same. I’m concerned with what’s displayed and how data is feed.

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member

My impression is that many apps use the system format. That would be sufficient for me, though I take @vishalsheth 's point.
    @andrew.l_1P

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

@hsafer
    It should be. But my main interest is to have date and year in numbers but month in words. There are times if we go by system where I may be using small format but here I would like to see the complete date to avoid any miss reads.
    Intact I’ve also suggest to be able to sheet on export of different documents.

• Thanks for these additional details and your input @vishalsheth and @hsafer!

I've forwarded these points to our Product team for their consideration, let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: PB-30639574