I accidentally clicked "Always Send" on a crash report dialog. How can I turn that setting off?

Options
fermata
fermata
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Mac

I prefer the default behavior where I can decide on a case-by-case basis whether to send a crash report. I didn't find anything in Preferences, or from searching the forum and google.

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6.2
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:"always send"

Comments

• Hello @fermata! 👋

You can disable the automatic sending of crash reports in macOS 12.6.2 by following these steps:

1. Click on the  in the menu bar.
    2. Click System Preferences.
    3. Click Security & Privacy.
    4. Click Analytics.
    5. De-select the options that you don't want turned on.

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• fermata
    fermata
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave! I can't believe I didn't know there was a global preferences panel for this. But it looks like those preferences are indeed global to macOS, not specific to 1Password, and (I would expect) not reflecting the 1Password-specific choice I made in the 1Password dialog. That's supported by the fact that none of the checkboxes in the Preferences panel are currently selected, even though I had clicked "Always Send" in 1Password.

Apologies if I'm being thick, but is it possible there's another answer here?

• @fermanta

That's the only option I know of. How to Disable Crash Report on my iMac? - Apple Community

From the link above. Share analytics information from your Mac with Apple - Apple Support

If you agree, we may share your crash data with Apple’s partners and third-party developers to improve their software, hardware, and services designed for use with Apple products. Apple may also provide such partners and third-party developers with a subset of analytics information that is relevant to that partner’s or developer’s software, hardware, and/or services, as long as the information is in a form that does not personally identify you.

--

Opt out of sharing analytics:
    You can opt out of sharing analytics from your Mac at any time.
    1. Choose Apple menu > System Settings, click Privacy & Security in the sidebar, then click Analytics & Improvements on the right. (You may need to scroll down.)
    2. Turn off Share Mac Analytics.
    3. Turn off “Share with app developers” to stop sharing analytics data with app developers.

It's possible this is a bug within macOS where the options are not shown enabled. You may wish to consider reaching out to Apple too. Just last night I needed to direct another user to Apple for a similar bug within his login items.

 Apple Support - Contact Us

• fermata
    fermata
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I really thought this particular instance was a feature built into 1Password, sending logs directly to 1Password. You're both saying that that doesn't exist and what I saw was the standard macOS crash reporting that sends logs to Apple. You guys would know, so I guess I was confused; I just wish I'd saved a screenshot so I could look again. Oh well... sorry for the confusion and thanks for the answers!

• No worries at all @fermata

This comes up from time to time and we're always happy to help as best we can. Have a great weekend.

This discussion has been closed.