Do I have to log into 1Password every few minutes ?

kleks
kleks
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

One thing which I find annoying - so any clues how to alleviate it are welcome.

During account creation, I created a nice, long and randomized master password.
Now, while using it and trying to run it through the paces. every time I invoke 1P from the browser, from the top menu, or as a standalone app ( which most likely is like from the top menu ), I need to enter my totally randomized and indigestible password. That sucks.

I extended logout timeout in settings to 1h. that is a bit better, but still sucks.

on iphone I have face recognition to unlock 1P. On Ipad, I have a fingerprint to unlock it.

My iMac is iMac pro - so no fingerprint or FaceID here. Any other ideas - hardware Key ?

Thanks.
_zjt

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:biometrics on imac

Comments

• Hi @kleks,

Glad to hear you opted for a strong account password 💪 I'm sorry to hear the app is locking more than you'd prefer.

In addition to the idle lock, could I confirm that you've disabled the option to lock 1Password when your device sleeps?

If this is still enabled it may be worth exploring some of your Mac settings to see if they can be adjusted to better accommodate your preference.

Since you also mentioned the browser extension, I recommend enabling integration between it and the app so they can share a lock state. You can find the options to do this both in the app settings and in the browser extension settings (accessed by right-clicking the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar):

Give those a try and let me know what you find!

• kleks
    kleks
    Community Member

@andrew.l_1P Changes applied, much easier to use now - less hassle :-). Now, if you know how to add fingerprint or faceid to iMac_Pro ..:-) ( I know, not there, for Apple reasons).

Anyway - big thanks. The more I use 1P, the more I am amazed with how you guys make it really easy. Big points for UI and thinking it through.

Oh, one more thing - add a BIG Yellow Button - NPG - New Password Generator both to browser extension and to standalone APP. FIrst screen ( even without need to log in.. )

_zjt

• Glad to hear those settings helped, @kleks, and thanks so much for your kind words!

You can currently access the password generator by creating a new item in the app or via the browser extension icon:

If you're open to sharing I'd be interested in knowing more about your use case for having a password generator more readily available elsewhere if these don't meet your needs. For example, are you generating passwords that you'll need again in the future? Do these eventually get saved in 1Password?

Let me know and I can pass your feedback along to the right teams internally. 🙂

• kleks
    kleks
    Community Member

1) that will do it - 2 clicks. I will take it :-) Thanks.
    2) at least once or twice a day I find myself in a situation where I need new password, but at this time I am not "in the browser" - like VPN into a headless machine, or into a VM, and need to provide a decent password. The answer to first - sometimes; (I usually keep track of passwords provided for access to systems to other people, but not always); if I will use them in future, even copying out of 1P, then yes, i will store them in 1P. I know, I should start from adding to 1P - but I am lazy :-). If you want, I can try to keep a running notes when I wanted a new password ( under what conditions ).
    I understand assigning resources vs user cases.
    Take care.
    _zjt

• Thanks so much for sharing your use case in more detail, we'd never say no to having more examples so feel free to add use cases and workflows as you happen across them at your convenience. I've recorded your feedback all the same though and hope the password generator in the browser extension will prove useful in the meantime.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again!

ref: PB-30387797

• kleks
    kleks
    Community Member

A bit more info>

Trying to change password.
    1) for some reason the proposed password is not transferred to field waiting for it. Also, I could not copy only password from the recommended pop-up of 1P. 1P only inserted one instance of a new password, and web site kindly substituted it with the stars..
    The easiest way for me was to create a -new_ password, copy it and paste into 2 fields on the web site.
    I know, we are dealing with web site "peculiarities" - it is an old and ugly code there. Thus, I need an easy way to either create and copy a new password off-screen, or when offered a new password for insertion into web site additional button (USE - COPY ).

Aaaand... I just wasted 15 minutes trying to find (again) password generator in the top menu IP button... to finally find it in Browser IP button. I must admit, this same image hiding two different sets of options is ... infuriating :-).

May I kindly suggest that MacOS, top menu button presents same options like browser button? Just for simplicity ? ( and UI design says - same icon - same function or same menu options,......

• Hi @kleks,

Thanks for sharing this use case! I can certainly see how a new password on a clipboard is helpful on websites that may not have their fields all labelled ideally so I'll add these notes.

I've also filed your request to bring the browser extension menu to the menu bar icon. 😊

ref: PB-30559923

This discussion has been closed.