Copy and pasting a password not working in WoW specifically?

Options
klepp0906
klepp0906
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Windows

So longtime 1password windows user, devoid of issues. making my first foray into the mac world and in the process of setting up my must-haves etc.

World of Warcraft is one of em. The only issue I have is when i copy the password and paste it into the wow login, it treats it as an incorrect password. I can type it manually just fine and it works. I can paste it into a text file and it comes out exactly as it appears in 1password, however when pasting into wow, something breaks down.

any takers on this one? when you have a 20 character random number/symbol password typing it manually every time is... not ideal :P

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
    Options

I figured it out, appears to be adding an extra space when pasted for some reason. if i copy/paste then remove one character it works.

• Hi @klepp0906! Thanks for letting us know - that's definitely an interesting one. Were you previously able to copy and paste your WoW login without issues on Windows? If you select Edit on your WoW item in 1Password and take a closer look at the password field there, has an extra space somehow gotten added at the end?

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

hola @1P_Gem and thanks for the quick reply. I can and do use it frequently to copy/paste it on windows without issue. I tried putting it in a text file to see if anything looked amiss but there was no extra anything. I also created a new login, manually entered the password there, and tried copy/pasting from the new one, same issue. It wont accept it unless i backspace/delete 1 character.

• Hello @klepp0906,

Thanks for letting us know things are working as expected with Windows and that when creating a new item, you continue to see this issue persist on your Mac.

Does this affect other apps as well on your Mac, or only WoW, that you know of? We do hear about some apps (or websites) doing this when autofilling, where they claim that no password has been entered when it has, or that the password is wrong when it isn't, but I'm unsure of why there may be differences between these versions of WoW.

To confirm where this issue lies, could test some other options such as Quick Access (with drag and drop) or Universal Auto-Fill and let us know if you continue to see this behaviour on your Mac, in those cases?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hey again.

Okay, i just tried copy/paste from quick access and the same issue presented. I had never used or heard of universal autofill but after looking at it i plan to exploit the heck out of it now :P

anyhow, i enabled it in security > accessibility > 1Password and tried to command+backslash to autofill it, but it wouldnt autofill anything anything at all even with wow linked. restarted the mac for good measure.

probably also worth mentioning if i command backslash and try to autofill, after it does nothing (as far as trying to fill username and/or password goes) i cannot command and backslash again without removing the wow app link from the login item entirely and re opening wow. otherwise the shortcut doesnt bring up 1password at all from that point forward.

this does not happen if i chose the autofill once option, only if i link it via autofill & update.

• Hey there @klepp0906,

I'm sorry of the troubles you've experienced with my suggestion of Universal Autofill. I brought this and your early difficulties with WoW on Mac to the team.

With regard to the extra space created when copying the password, could you confirm where this is happening? Is this within the Battle.net launcher, or specifically on the World of Warcraft login screen? Thanks!

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
    Options

No biggie @ag_mike_d

The extra character/space is confined to the password box only, it appears if i copy username and paste from 1password into the wow client - the behavior is as expected. i dont imagine theres much difference between the boxes other than one of them obfuscates the characters so perhaps it has something to do with that.

As far as where, not the bnet launcher - the wow login screen itself in the game client. wow.exe (whatever the mac equivalent is, dont think they use exe's over there. I'm green on mac for now)

unsure if the refusal to auto fill anything at all and the manual copy pasting of the password depositing an extra character are related but definitely something wonky with how it and wow are functioning together.

if you need any more info, just lmk!

• ag_mike_d
    edited January 2023
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply, @klepp0906,

I've filed this report for the team so it can be looked into. Could you provide some additional details about which version of macOS and 1Password for Mac you are currently using, so I can pass this along to the team?

Thanks again!

ref: dev/core/core#19526

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
    Options

you bet @ag_mike_d

Mac = Ventura 13.1
    1Password = 8.10.0 on beta channel

• Thanks, @klepp0906, I'll add those details to Mike's report and we'll keep investigating. Since you've already connected with our Mac team via email, we'll continue the conversation there to avoid any confusion. 🙂

ref: WRV-24952-236

This discussion has been closed.