Show message when u can't timesync

jimger
jimger
Community Member

Hi, I had an issue today where the totp passwords were wrong. I also had my mobile next to laptop and was seeing that for same keys they had different passwords being generated. So I assumed the issue. Though maybe someone less techie might not. My laptop's time was correct enough. Probably some seconds off. So I would suggest that actually 1Pass would try to do timesync each time it starts or possibly windows start. If it can't make it, the probably throw a message. That could possibly solve future problems

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @jimger ,

I don't know if 1Password app is able to force a time sync. Windows itself is the "problem" here. There should be a setting to force a time sync when Windows starts.

My time was synced 5 days ago on Windows 11.

On https://time.is you can see that my time is not in sync.

So, it could be, that 2FA keys are not correctly generated here. 🤔

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

Maybe it can somehow ask if it is was synced... I mean if I didn't have more devices with 1password installed I wouldn't understand why totp codes weren't accepted...

• Hello @jimger,

Thank you for your message. @DenalB is correct here (thanks for the assist). This is based on the OS' current time. As much as a 30 second difference can cause issues with OTPs being out-of-sync between devices.

We appreciate your feedback about a time sync or 1Password ability to prompt when time is out of sync. While I can't make any promises that this is possible, I've let the Product team know about your suggestions.

For the time being, if you are noticing a difference between those OTPs on different devices, it's best to ensure that your time is up-to-date on each device.

Do let us know if you have further questions or concerns. Thanks!

ref: 30195379

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

Cheers. Yeah if u get to the point that u see different otp between devices u know probably sth has to do with time (if u are a bit techie). But trying to mention a problem that might have no explanation to a user of a single device...

• Hi @jimger! On behalf of my colleague Mike, you're very welcome, and thanks again for your feedback. If you have any further questions or concerns, let us know!😄

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

Hey @jimger Have you tried installing an 'Atomic Clock' type app on your laptop? Maybe it could help you keep the time in sync. Just a suggestion :)

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

HI @Darcorn . Thanks for that. I solved my problem within 2 minutes as I had my mobile and realized the problem. I just went to windows and told it to sync. It is not a problem I usually had. But since I got into that, realized the issue, I thought it was good to post it as bug/fix so less techie people could benefit

This discussion has been closed.