New 1Password 8 is a major downgrade in usability

crackingtoast
crackingtoast
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Mac

1) Search - please add an option to always search and Show Matching items. I don't want to have to remember to press Command + Return to see results. The new search is not good.
2) Menu bar access is gone. I used this all the time and now I need to do an extra click or use the shortcut. You also can't choose to Open or Edit an item, even when you click View Details in Quick access

1Password has always gotten better and I was an early adopter. This new version is a step backwards. :(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @crackingtoast,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on 1password 8. I'm sorry to hear that you've had some trouble, but it's my pleasure to help.

Search - please add an option to always search and Show Matching items. I don't want to have to remember to press Command + Return to see results.

I've added your voice to our tracking for this feature request. At the moment, I don't have any information regarding if or when the feature may be implemented, but you can rest assured its on the teams radar.

Menu bar access is gone. I used this all the time and now I need to do an extra click or use the shortcut. You also can't choose to Open or Edit an item, even when you click View Details in Quick access

Can you elaborate on how you'd like to use 1Password through the menu bar? I'd like to share your workflow with the team.

I'd also like to share that while viewing an item in Quick Access](https://support.1password.com/quick-access/), more options can be revealed. Either press the right arrow on your keyboard, or click the 3 vertical dots next to the highlighted item. In this screen, there is an option to open the item in 1Password, where it can be edited if necessary.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any further questions, and thank you for contributing to 1Passwords evolution.

ref: /IDEA-I-289

• crackingtoast
    crackingtoast
    Community Member

Hi,
    My workflow for the Menu Bar Item was that if I needed to quickly find or view an item, I could click the menu bar to quickly search. Now the only option for this is Quick Access.

Other things that are worse in 1Password 8.
    Open in New Window from the Chrome Extension opens the Item in 1Password. It used to open the item in a small floating window. There should be an option for this. When Opening an Item in a New Window from 1Password 8 Mac App it has this behavior. It is inconsistent.

I always keep 1Password set to show All Vaults. If I open an Item from the Chrome Extension it takes me to the Item but also filters my vaults to the Vault where the item lives. Then the next time I search for something it is no longer searching all Vaults. This is an annoying bug.

• @crackingtoast

My workflow for the Menu Bar Item was that if I needed to quickly find or view an item, I could click the menu bar to quickly search. Now the only option for this is Quick Access.

You can have Quick Access open when you click on the menubar icon so that you can search using Quick Access:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Settings.
    4. Change "Click the icon to:" to "Show Quick Access".

Open in New Window from the Chrome Extension opens the Item in 1Password. It used to open the item in a small floating window. There should be an option for this. When Opening an Item in a New Window from 1Password 8 Mac App it has this behavior. It is inconsistent.

At the moment, this is an intended behaviour. However we do have an internal work item open to look into improving this in the future and I've added your feedback there.

I always keep 1Password set to show All Vaults. If I open an Item from the Chrome Extension it takes me to the Item but also filters my vaults to the Vault where the item lives. Then the next time I search for something it is no longer searching all Vaults. This is an annoying bug.

1Password 8 no longer uses the "All Vaults" concept but instead uses collections: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

When you search for another item after opening the first item from the Chrome extension are you searching in 1Password 8 or the extension itself?

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#12794

This discussion has been closed.