Can't search within Secure Note

Baldner
Baldner
Community Member

I am using 8.9.11. I, too, am frustrated by the lack of ability of search within a Secure Note, a feature that existed in previous versions of 1Password. I open "edit" of the secure note and then hit Command F. The search window opens with the vault information already entered (e.g., ==vault:Personal). If I add my search term to that string, the results I get are a list of places within the vault that contain the term. I get the same results if I delete that string and type in my search term by itself. But I cannot search within the open Secure Note for the occurrence of that term. It seems from other posts here that this feature has been removed. If so, add my vote to returning it as soon as possible. If this feature is still available, can you tell me how to accomplish it? Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ventura 13.1
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:search inside secure notes

Β«1

Comments

• Hi @Baldner πŸ‘‹πŸ»

Sorry for any interruption to your workflow that this has caused. There is a feature request currently open with our Product Team regarding searching the contents of Secure Notes. I've added your feedback there. πŸ™‚

• Baldner
    Baldner
    Community Member

Thank you.

• Sure thing, @Baldner, and thank you for your post. We're happy to help!

• c4jeff
    c4jeff
    Community Member

I commented on another thread back in October but want to add another vote, please bring back this ability! My team will never be able to upgrade to v8 without being able to search within Secure Notes, it's vital to our ability to function.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been resolved since I last tested in October, but please bring back the search auto-populating the entire results in the window like v7. When I last tested v8 it had a separate dropdown of results instead and if you hit Enter it would open the top result, you had to hit something like CMD+Enter to get all the results and it was a complete disaster, no idea why you'd break something that was working great.

• jtek
    jtek
    Community Member

Just switched to 1Password and it is really hard to find anything in long secure notes without being able to search through the text. Using Windows Application. +11111111

• hardybird
    hardybird
    Community Member

+1 A lot of us recent Lastpass converts REALLY need the ability to search all of the Notes contents in order to get our info organized in 1Password. Notes search is a critical functionality and I hope (pray) that the developers have this as a high priority.

• @c4jeff,

Thanks for your additional input, I can confirm your earlier feedback was recorded and have included what you mentioned here about how search results function. If you have any examples of how you or your team are using Secure Notes to store data, I'm happy to include those as well. πŸ™‚

@jtek and @hardybird,

Welcome to 1Password! I'm sorry to hear this is creating some friction with your onboarding experiences. I've recorded your feedback for the rest of the team and appreciate you letting us know this is important to you. Let me know if I can help with anything in the meantime!

ref: PB-30507743

• mpw2102
    mpw2102
    Community Member

I agree with the other commenters. Please make it possible to search text within notes!

• Hi @mpw2102,

Thanks for letting us know this is important to you, I'll share your feedback with the team. Let me know if you have any examples or use cases you'd like me to add. πŸ‘

ref: PB-31249027

• FScheps
    FScheps
    Community Member

We really need this ASAP.
    I switched from LastPass and they had this funcionality (on Windows but not on Mac).
    We need to be able to search within Notes, just like the native Mac Notes App offers ;)

Hope this is coming soon please. Thanks!

• Thank you for sharing your use case and need to search within a Secure Note saved in 1Password. I've passed along your comments and request to our product team. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-31639686

• EditingFX
    EditingFX
    Community Member

NEED THIS FUNCTIONALITY. What good are notes without a search? Checking calendar... yes, this is the 21st century...

• @EditingFX

I've shared your request with our product team. Thank you for the feedback. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-31810012

• karenalenore
    karenalenore
    Community Member

We are also just new from Lastpass and the lack of note searching is a huge problem!! We are looking at other services over this one missing feature. If you need a use case, I'll explain ours. We are a digital agency which often holds access to multiple types of accounts for our clients. So our structure is a single Note for each client, with all their applicable logins in one place. We do NOT want to have one off passwords for each thing scattered throughout. We also put other noteworthy and sensitive info in here for our team to easily manage clients they are assigned to. So these notes get long for larger clients. Scrolling in them is torture. We need to search in them. We had that in Lastpass and it worked beautifully. Please prioritize this key missing feature. My team is begging me to leave 1password for something else and I'd rather not if we can work this out.

• @karenalenore

Thank you for the feedback and welcome to 1Password! πŸ™‚

Using a single Secure Note to store multiple passwords as well as other information seems like it would get complicated and messy really quickly. Is there a reason why you don't want to use separate Login items for each account? You can create a vault for each client and even link those items together: Link related items in 1Password

By putting all passwords and information into one Secure Note you also lose out on 1Password features such as concealed password fields, Watchtower warnings about password reuse and breached accounts, individual secure item sharing, and more.

Alternatively, if you did want to keep using one item per client have you considered using custom fields rather than putting all of the information into the Secure Note field: Customize your 1Password items

-Dave

• karenalenore
    karenalenore
    Community Member

@Dave_1P Thank you for the reply. That's an interesting suggestion on how to reorganize what we're doing. In LP we didn't have the option of more than one vault so that level of sub organization was not something we considered. It might work or it might get sloppy. Let me play around and see what we can do! Thanks again.

PS. I still thing notes should be searchable regardless of this use case. Its a intuitively expected feature that is missing.

• @karenalenore

Let us know if there's any other assistance that we can provide! I'd also encourage you to reach out to your account manager or our business team at business@1password.com to discuss this in more detail.

PS. I still thing notes should be searchable regardless of this use case. Its a intuitively expected feature that is missing.

I agree that this would be useful to many and I've forwarded your feedback to our product team. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-32534517

• wielp
    wielp
    Community Member

Hi There
    i'm a new user from LP and I really want to search in secure notes. Is there any update on this ?

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2023

@wielp

No. None that I am immediately aware of at this time. Sorry. I can and would be happy to let the team know you would like to see searching within Secure Notes.

ref: PB-32825749

• Vog
    Vog
    Community Member

+1 to check in on this. Not being able to search within a note came as a surprise when we moved to 1Password as it's pretty expected, and it's the one thing that is seriously causing us to consider switching away from 1Password when our subscription is up.

• @Vog

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to our Product team as well.

-Dave

ref: PB-34258256

• c4jeff
    c4jeff
    Community Member
    edited July 2023

Please we need this so badly, can't move off of 1password 7 until this is an option. It's frustrating because you can search within notes on the 1password 8 iOS app, so it seems like it should be possible in macOS as well

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2023

I've got your request noted @c4jeff

ref: PB-34463973

• joesap
    joesap
    Community Member

Please add my vote. I need to be able to find text in secure notes. It's very frustrating that this basic feature is still missing in 1Password 8 as I use it all the time.

Please bring back search of secure notes!

This is not the first time that search of secure notes was broken, as documented here over 5 years ago, and subsequently resolved:
    https://1password.community/discussion/93553/command-f-control-f-edit-find-find-find-command-find-feature-find-text-search-not-working

I also strongly believe that the secure notes should be searchable without switching to Edit mode, as documented here: https://1password.community/discussion/117312/regression-find-command-find-text-search-not-working

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2023

Noted @joesap and thank you for letting us know this matters to you. I've passed along your comments to the products team.

ref: PB-34463973

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

I have some very old secure notes in 1Password, from years ago before 1Password existed. Since searching within these notes is no longer available, what I have to do is copy the whole note and paste it into a TextEdit document, and then search in there. Luckily the security info in the notes is almost 100% out of date but this is probably quite insecure. Please add searching within notes again.

• @mirv

I'm sorry for the impact to your usual workflow, I've passed along your use case and request to the team as well. Thank you for the feedback.

-Dave

ref: PB-38120541

• @mirv

Are you up for a nightly?