Feature Request: Could 1Password be integrated with Authy?

Options
PaulCh
PaulCh
Community Member

I realize this is something you'd need to partner on, but I'd strongly encourage you to have that conversion...

I know that 1Password now has the ability to authenticate with OTPs. But as I understand it, that means reconfiguring each service that I have already set up 2FA for to use 1Password as the authenticator instead.

Besides the chore that would be, it also feels a little dangerous to have my second authentication factor generated by the same service providing the user credentials. Isn't the point of 2FA to have an independent second factor?

It would take some careful design to avoid introducing an additional point-of-attack between the two services, but since it would be cloud-to-cloud, I'm comfortable that such a connection would be difficult to intercept and could be encrypted/authenticated sufficiently that everyone can still sleep at night.

I value your integration with Privacy.com, it was the feature that prompted me to change password managers. What are the chances you could offer tight integration with Authy, too?

• Paul

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @PaulCh! 👋

It's entirely safe to use 1Password as your authenticator app for two-factor authentication since your vault is protected using end-to-end encryption and can only be unlocked using your account password and Secret Key. You can read more about using 1Password as an authenticator here: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

What are the chances you could offer tight integration with Authy, too?

It seems to me that any integration with another service would be less secure than just using 1Password as your authenticator app since it would increase the number of moving parts. Can you tell me a little more about how an integration with Authy, where 1Password would have access to the one-time passwords you have stored in Authy, would be more secure than just storing your one-time passwords in 1Password itself?

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.