Any way to import 2FA Code / OTP Tokens from Authy to 1Password, other than resetting at source?

Options
1Passworder1
1Passworder1
Community Member

I have tens of 2FA tokens saved in my Authy app. Since 1Password doesn't have them saved, Watchtower flags them as "Inactive two-factor authentication".

Except for Amazon, almost none of the sites allow you to rescan the 2FA's QR code once it is already setup. Only option on those sites is disable 2FA and re-enable 2FA. I don't want to do that on ~40 sites.

So, I'm wondering whether there's any way to import 2FA tokens from Authy to 1Password?

[Side question - Other than Authy / 1Password, what is your next top 2FA app?]

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.0 (81000009)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11 22H2
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @1Passworder1

It looks like Authy have made the decision not to allow exporting:

In order to maintain security for our users, the Authy application does not allow importing or exporting 2FA account tokens.

— Export or Import Tokens in the Authy app – Authy

In that case, the advice would be to see if you can add another authenticator app to websites where you currently use Authy, and use 1Password to scan the QR code: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication.

If you can't add another authenticator, you might be able to turn off two-factor authentication on that website, turn it back on, and set up 1Password as the authenticator from the get-go.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• 1Passworder1
    1Passworder1
    Community Member
    Options

I found a way!!!

https://gist.github.com/gboudreau/94bb0c11a6209c82418d01a59d958c93

This works for most of the tokens. I was able to export all but one token from my Authy.
    This is able to run offline. So, if you are cautious like me, disable WiFi on the PC before running this.

• @1Passworder1

I'm happy that you were able to find a solution that works for you. 🙂

Obligatory disclaimer: 1Password has not opened or verified that the link and tool that @1Passworder1 has posted is safe to use and anyone who'd like to use that third-party tool does so at their own risk.

-Dave

• rdch
    rdch
    Community Member
    Options

Did you ever get an answer to this excellent question?

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @rdch! 👋

Can you clarify your question a little further? Are you currently using Authy for your one-time passwords and would like to use 1Password as your authenticator app instead? If the answer is yes then my colleague Grey's instructions offer the best path forward: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/671989/#Comment_671989

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.