Newbie Questions: 2FA? and Mac Download?

9AmberMoog
9AmberMoog
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Families

Hi! Newbie here. I have two questions:

I am thinking of signing up with 1Password on Mac / Apple devices but need to know once I have signed up and choose a 2FA - will I be able to change it in the future or must I live with whatever I choose to begin with? As an example: suppose I add Google Authenticator but then want to switch to Authy or any other combination?

Also is there a difference between the Apple App Stores 1Password 7 and downloading directly from the 1Password site?

1Password Version:_none
_Extension Version:
none
OS Version: Mac Ventura 13.1 and iOS 16.2.
Browser: Safari, FireFox

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

You can add and remove 2fa any time. And you can switch the authenticator app any time. Keep the QR code as print or as screenshot, then you're able to scan it again any time later with a different app without removing and re-adding 2fa. This works with any 2fa, not limited to 1Password.

Be careful with Authy. Authy is a bit different, because it supports generic totp 2fa, but it also supports custom 2fa where the Authy service behind the app acts as some kind of man in the middle to enable management and recovery. I don't recommend Authy because of this - 2fa should be entirely private and local and no 3rd party should be involved. Google Authenticator is completely local and offline and recommended, if you ask me.

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member

Should have added Mac Ventura 13.1 and iOS 16.2. Generally use Safari or Firefox.

• Hi @9AmberMoog

@Tertius3 has added some good advice (thank you!), and I'd like to come to one of your points directly.

Also is there a difference between the Apple App Stores 1Password 7 and downloading directly from the 1Password site?

Yes. 1Password 7 is now discontinued since the release of 1Password 8 in May 2022, and you should install 1Password 8 from https://1password.com/downloads/mac to make sure you have the latest supported version of 1Password.

You'll also need to install 1Password in your browsers, if you haven't already. Instructions for that are here: Get started with 1Password in your browser.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member

Thank you @Tertius3 and @GreyM1P - I appreciate both your answers - very helpful!

• Excellent, we hope that information serves you well. Let us know if you have other questions.

This discussion has been closed.