Looking for 1P for Dummies

Judymf
Judymf
Community Member

I need real basic “how to get started”. Why must I enter my 1P password every time I need a password? Why are there multiple entries for login sites? I’m either overthinking this program or it is way too complicated for a non-tech user.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 16.?
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Looking for 1P for Dummies

Comments

• Hello @Judymf! 👋

I'm happy to answer your questions:

Why must I enter my 1P password every time I need a password?

1Password protects your data by encrypting it using your account password. When 1Password is locked only you can unlock it by typing your account password into the app. You can reduce the number of times that you need to enter your account password by changing your auto-lock settings: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

You can also enable Touch ID, if your Mac supports it, so that you can unlock 1Password using your finger: Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your Mac

Why are there multiple entries for login sites?

There's shouldn't be multiple entries for a website unless you have multiple accounts on that website. Did you happen to import items from another password manager?

I need real basic “how to get started”.

The best place to start is with 1Password University which is a free resource. 1Password University includes lessons on 1Password, online security basics, and more. You can sign-up here: 1Password University

-Dave

• Judymf
    Judymf
    Community Member

Thank you for the response. I had high hopes with 1Password University for a minute. Then I went to the site...it's a sales pitch. I need concrete How-To directions for setting up.
    I'm switching between a laptop and and an iPad so that complicates things...nothing comes up on the screen in the same way twice. I clip on the icon at the top of the screen, it sometimes fills the password, sometimes is asks for the 1P password 2 or 3 times before filling the password.
    I filled out my DL information on a Drivers License form. I can copy but not fill from that form. I just can't find clear directions for Dummies.

• @Judymf

I'm sorry for the frustration. I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our concierge team can work with you to get 1Password working on all of your devices. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.