On Windows, the context menu (accessed via right-click) doesn't provide any useful information. Why?

scerwin
scerwin
Community Member

I am a recent refugee from the debacle at LastPass. So far, my experience with 1Password has been very positive. A major exception is that the Windows "context menu" that pops up whenever you right-click on a webpage is fairly useless: it only offers Lock, Save Login, and Help. Despite all their problems, LastPass did this one thing right: the context menu brought up site-specific information so that forms (including password fields that didn't cooperate) could often be filled with a click.

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: 2.5.2
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:"context menu"

Comments

• Hi @scerwin

Almost all of 1Password's functionality can be found when you click 1Password in the toolbar of your browser. The only thing that would require a right-click on a blank area of the web page would be to collect its structure, which we only need to troubleshoot filling issues.

Right-clicking isn't second nature to a lot of people, and we try to reduce the amount of right-clicking that needs to be done as a general rule of thumb. Putting 1Password as its own thing in the toolbar of your browser means it's somewhere visible and an inexperienced user might see it and think "ah, that's where I click".

In nearly every case, you can click 1Password in the browser toolbar, or press Ctrl + Shift + X (by default) to show/hide it. If you're having trouble filling a particular website, you can drag and drop the correct information from 1Password in the browser into the right fields, or click them to copy them so that you can paste them in the right place.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• scerwin
    scerwin
    Community Member

Fair enough and well-explained! Thanks very much.

• @scerwin

You're welcome! If you ever need anything from us at 1Password Support, please do get in touch. We're available here, or you can reach us by email at support@1password.com. :)

• brianctscs
    brianctscs
    Community Member

Not every request for a password, though, occurs in a browser. E.g. the HubSpot login for the Outlook add-in is in a dialog. As I recall, Lastpass integrated into the right-click menu and offered one or items to select which would then autofill the dialog. I would vote for having this capability added; otherwise, I have to open a browser window, go to 1password, search for the HubSpot entry, and finally copy and paste the password. The way LastPass did it was much better.

• @brianctscs

Quick Access should help here – it's available anywhere in Windows. Press Ctrl + Shift + Space to open Quick Access, then search for the item and press the displayed keyboard shortcut to copy the username, password, or one-time password, or to open it in a floating window.

You can do all this without having to open the main 1Password app or the browser extension: Get to know Quick Access.

Give it a try and let me know how you find it. :)

This discussion has been closed.