1Password8 for Windows will not install

AnneVoss
AnneVoss
Community Member

I have downloaded the latest 1Password for Windows install yesterday (August 23rd).
I try to install this on my Windows laptop. The following sequence occurs both as regular user and with "run as administrator".
ATTN: I am translating the dialogs as I go along, because apparently and _FRUSTRATINGLY _ 1Password decided to localize the install.
1) Small dialog "Install 1Password 8?" -> Yes
2) Running progress bar "Installing 1Password" for a few seconds.
3) Dialog box (Icon: white cross on red circle background). 1Password cannot complete the installation will undo all changes". Only option is OK
Installation ended.
1Password 7 is installed (by me) and updates to latest versions everytime.
Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2

1Password Version: 1Password8 version august23
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 20H2 Enterprise
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password8 for windows will not install

Comments

• Hi @AnneVoss,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing when attempting to install 1Password 8. Installing 1Password doesn't need to be installed as administrator. It's sounds like something else is causing a problem, typically antivirus or antimalware.

Can you try restarting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking Enabled and then try installing 1Password again to see if this helps with this behaviour. If it does and you are using antivirus or antimalware, I'd suggest excluding the entire 1Password directory (%localappdata%\1Password) to help avoid future issues with updates.

If you continue to have problems while in safe mode, could send along a zipped copy of the 1Password logs via email to support+windows@1Password.com so we can help to investigate? Please do not post these details in the forums:
    1. In the Windows search bar copy and paste the following and press enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\logs\
    1. Select everything in this folder, and then right-click and choose Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.
    1. Then, attach that zip file to your email.

If you could also include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. Thank you!

• Hefaistos68
    Hefaistos68
    Community Member

I am having the very same issue on a PC that is in an AD domain, I am having local admin rights on request but with or without admin rights it will not install. I do not have the option to safe boot or disable AV or even exclude the OP folder from AV scans as this is not allowed by domain policy. Any other ideas?
    Logs:

[2022-12-27 11:00:52.024297 +00:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:602: Setup logs path set to : C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\logs\setup
    [2022-12-27 11:00:52.026546 +00:00] INFO [op_log::private] foundation\op-log\src\private.rs:70: system locale detected as 'en-150'
    [2022-12-27 11:00:52.026617 +00:00] INFO [op_log::private] foundation\op-log\src\private.rs:70: en-150 isn't directly supported; falling back to en
    [2022-12-27 11:00:52.026645 +00:00] INFO [op_log::private] foundation\op-log\src\private.rs:70: selected translations for EN_US based on detected locale en
    [2022-12-27 11:00:53.323154 +00:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:516: Starting fresh install to 80910043
    [2022-12-27 11:00:53.582884 +00:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:288: Copying files to C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\update
    [2022-12-27 11:00:53.584182 +00:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::transaction] op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:70: copying files to: C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\update\8
    [2022-12-27 11:00:57.123481 +00:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:292: Renaming C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    [2022-12-27 11:00:57.123530 +00:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::transaction] op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:128: renaming C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    [2022-12-27 11:00:57.314322 +00:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::transaction] op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:170: renaming C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    [2022-12-27 11:00:57.314878 +00:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:300: Renaming C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    [2022-12-27 11:00:57.314918 +00:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::transaction] op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:170: renaming C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    [2022-12-27 11:00:57.316863 +00:00] ERROR [op_windows_starter::transaction] op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:54: failed to rollback rename of C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\previous. Error: The system cannot find the file specified. (os error 2)
    [2022-12-27 11:00:59.816585 +00:00] ERROR [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:169: failed to move app files. Error: Io(PermissionDenied)
    [2022-12-27 11:01:02.911802 +00:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:374: starting C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\1Password\app\8\1Password.exe 
    [2022-12-27 11:01:02.913281 +00:00] ERROR [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:201: Failed to start previous app. Error: The system cannot find the path specified. (os error 3)

• Hello @Hefaistos68,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry for the troubles you are having with the installation of 1Password and that a safe mode restart or excluding the related files/folders is not an option for you. I would suggest reaching out to your local IT team to see if this is something they can assist with. The related 1Password folder can be found here, %localappdata%\1Password and the 1Password.exe is here, %localappdata%\1Password\App\8.

Optionally, you could try installing 1Password in the browser on this device and use it without the desktop app installed. Let us know if you have any troubles with 1Password in your browser, should you opt for this route.

• erasmosud
    erasmosud
    Community Member

Is this problem recurring? Is it easy to resolve?

• Hi @erasmosud, thanks for reaching out! This issue is most often caused by security software preventing 1Password from completing the installation. Are you able to try restarting in Safe Mode with Networking, to see if the installation is able to complete successfully there?

If the issue continues in Safe Mode, I'd like to ask you to send in an email to support+forum@1password.com with a zipped copy of your logs - do not post these in the forums. You can retrieve the logs with the steps below:

1. Open the Start Menu, paste this code into the search field, and press Enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    2. Once you've navigated to this location, right-click the Logs folder, click Copy, and paste a copy of that folder onto your desktop.
    3. Right-click the folder on your desktop, click Send To, then Zipped folder.

With your email please include:

You'll receive an automated response from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• erasmosud
    erasmosud
    Community Member

I have no problem sharing the LOG here, actually the problem is that the installer tries to rename a file that doesn't exist, no software is causing it.

[2023-01-23 01:19:50.518553 -03:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::transaction] op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:170: renaming C:\Users\erasmo.carvalho\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\erasmo.carvalho\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    [2023-01-23 01:19:50.520125 -03:00] ERROR [op_windows_starter::transaction] op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:54: failed to rollback rename of C:\Users\eras\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\eras\AppData\Local\1Password\previous. Error:
    The system cannot find the file specified. (os error 2)
    [2023-01-23 01:19:50.575018 -03:00] ERROR [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:169: failed to move app files. Error: Io(PermissionDenied)
    [2023-01-23 01:19:51.900135 -03:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:374: starting C:\Users\eras\AppData\Local\1Password\app\8\1Password.exe
    [2023-01-23 01:19:51.900399 -03:00] ERROR [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:201: Failed to start previous app. Error: O sistema nΓ£o pode encontrar o caminho especificado. (os error 3)

• Hi @erasmosud, thanks for getting back to me! The PermissionDenied error and failures to rename and move app files are indicators that something on the device has locked down 1Password's installation directory, and is preventing it from completing the necessary steps for installation. Have you been able to try things out in Safe Mode yet?

• erasmosud
    erasmosud
    Community Member

We are never allowed to enter the security mode of a large company. The error of placing the installation directory in an inappropriate location is the application itself. And the worst thing is that I ended up paying for LastPass to start paying for 1password.

• Hi @erasmosud, thanks for letting me know! Could you email in to support+forum@1password.com so we can dig into things further?

You'll receive an automated response from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• erasmosud
    erasmosud
    Community Member

[#DPC-21725-217]

• Hi @erasmosud, thanks for posting your support ID! I can confirm that we've received your email, and a member of the team will be in touch with you there shortly πŸ˜„

ref: DPC-21725-217

• cyraneus
    cyraneus
    Community Member

I have the same issue (with the same errors on the log files as @erasmosud). I have currently version 7 of 1Password installed and working. It is also a company managed laptop and going into Safe Mode is not an option.

• Hi @cyraneus! I'm sorry to hear that you're running into this issue as well. Could you email in to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread and your forum username, so we can take a closer look?

• rohahn
    rohahn
    Community Member

I also have the same issue on every 1Password 8 update. Fortunately I found a workaround:
    1. When the installation fails, copy the installer e.g. 1PasswordSetup-8.10.4.exe from C:\Users\\AppData\Local\1Password to another directory before closing the error message box (because this will delete the installer).
    2. Rename the "app" directory to "previous".
    3. Manually start the installer.

Still, it's very annoying to have to do that over and over again.

The error log:
    ❯ INFO 2023-04-14T13:35:15.495 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:507] Updating from 81003012 to 81004032
    INFO 2023-04-14T13:35:15.709 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:281] Copying files to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update
    INFO 2023-04-14T13:35:15.710 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:73] copying files to: C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update\8
    INFO 2023-04-14T13:35:17.403 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:285] Renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    INFO 2023-04-14T13:35:17.403 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:130] renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    INFO 2023-04-14T13:35:17.568 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:172] renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    INFO 2023-04-14T13:35:17.569 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:289] Renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    INFO 2023-04-14T13:35:17.570 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:172] renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    ERROR 2023-04-14T13:35:17.922 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:162] failed to move app files. Error: Io(PermissionDenied)

• Hi @rohahn! I'm glad to hear that you've found a workaround, however I can definitely understand how it could become frustrating having to do this for every update.

This issue is most commonly caused by security software locking down 1Password's installation directory. Have you been able to try updating 1Password in Safe Mode with Networking, to test whether it's able to go through there? Alternately, are you able to try adding exclusions for 1Password in any security software on your device? We usually recommend excluding both the full installation directory at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password, and also 1Password.exe.

• rohahn
    rohahn
    Community Member

Hi @1P_Gem! Thanks for the reply.
    Unfortunately I cannot control the configuration of Trellix Endpoint Security on this corporate machine. But since 1Password 8 is the only application having this issue so far and even your 1Password 7 installed just fine, I cannot believe that there is no way to fix this problem in your installer. At least there should be a better error message that gives a hint about the workaround.

• Hi @rohahn, thanks for letting me know! I can definitely understand how the installation rollback error message could be improved, and I've filed your feedback about this with our product team.

Because 1Pasword 8 is an entirely new app, built from the ground up, this makes it quite different from 1Password 7. Often, antivirus software might have issues with one version, but not the other. These types of issues are more common immediately after a new update for 1Password is released, and tend to improve over time as more users update.

We do have an issue on file to look into what it is about the update process that's causing antivirus software to mistake 1Password as something malicious, and I've added the details about your case for the team to see.

If you have any further questions or concerns, let us know πŸ˜„

ref: 32573796
    ref: magic/cst3#13

• cyraneus
    cyraneus
    Community Member

The solution from @rohahn did unfortunately not work for me (but thanks for posting it!), but I am also still on 1Password 7. The installer removed the "previous" folder but still failed to create the app folder. In the end, I had to re-install the 1Password 7 app to get at least 1Password 7 to work again.

(I have contacted the support today again with an updated set of logs, now that I get deprecation warnings from 1Password. It would be cool if the installer could be fixed until 1Password 7 is deprecated.)

• Hi @cyraneus! I'm sorry to hear that rohahn's suggestion didn't help in your case. Could you let me know your support ID number so we can connect the dots? It should look something like #ABC-12345-678. Thanks!

• cyraneus
    cyraneus
    Community Member

[#NQA-98737-753]

• Hi @cyraneus, thanks for getting back to me with your support ID! πŸ˜„

ref: NQA-98737-753

• fjmanso
    fjmanso
    Community Member

Same issue here... waiting for a fix form 1Password

• Hi @fjmanso! I'm sorry to hear that you're running into this issue as well. We would be happy to troubleshoot this further with you - could you email in to support+forum@1password.com and attach a copy of the logs from 1Password's installation directory? You can retrieve the logs with the steps below:

1. Open the Start Menu, paste this code into the search field, and press Enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    2. Once you've navigated to this location, right-click the Logs folder, click Copy, and paste a copy of that folder onto your desktop.
    3. Right-click the folder on your desktop, click Send To, then Zipped folder.

Once you get a response with a Support ID, please post that number here so we can connect the dots. Thanks!

• cyraneus
    cyraneus
    Community Member

Hi, I can report that the installation finally worked out-of-the-box today.

• @cyraneus

I'm happy to hear that you were able to install 1Password. Let us know if you run into any other issues.

-Dave

• rohahn
    rohahn
    Community Member

When trying to install 1Password Version 8.10.18 on a new Windows 11 installation, I still had the same problem, when using either a manually downloaded installer or the Windows Store version. Unexpectedly, however, the installation via winget worked.

winget install AgileBits.1Password

Nevertheless, I still think that this is a bug in the installer that should be fixed. No other application was ever prevented from being installed by our anti-virus software. And no, booting into safe mode is not an acceptable solution.