Alert: "A website has been added to Watchtower". Not clear which one.

Options
tompave
tompave
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hello, earlier I opened 1Password and it presented me with this alert:

Watchtower Alert
A website has been added to Watchtower.

I was really focusing on what I was doing at the time, so I took a quick screenshot and moved on. (It might be weird, but a file on the desktop would be a good reminder to go back to this later.)

Now I've realized that I can't see the alert in the macOS notifications center, where I was hoping to just click it. I might have accidentally dismissed the alert, or it might have gone away on its own. And the alert screenshot itself didn't contain any useful info.

In 1Password, I'm looking at the Watchtower sections and I can only see old things, nothing new. For example, entries incorrectly flagged as "weak password" because the password field actually contains a short numeric PIN code that I cannot change. I wish there was a way to sort by the time an entry was added to Watchtower, but no Watchtower section provides that option. In other words, I'm struggling to figure out what the alert was about.

Can you please help?

1Password Version: 7.9.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6.2
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• tompave
    tompave
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion on this.

• Hi @tompave

If you're seeing that a website has been added to Watchtower, that means it'll now appear in the Compromised Websites section of Watchtower.

Watchtower uses https://haveibeenpwned.com/ as the source of that data, and compares it locally to any items you have with a compromised website in its Website field.

I searched for "January 2023" on https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites and found 5 results. My suspicion would be that you have an item mentioning the website for one of those five:

• Benchmark
    • Deezer
    • DoorDash
    • SlideTeam
    • Twitter (probably most likely, based on number of users)

Hopefully that helps track down the item in question. :)

— Grey

• tompave
    tompave
    Community Member
    Options

Hey there @GreyM1P, thank you for your answer!

Yes, that was my line of reasoning. I'm familiar with "Have I Been Pwned", but I didn't think about searching it for recent breaches. That's a great way to go about this.

Alas, that doesn't help me. The "Compromised Websites" section in Watchtower is empty, as it was empty when I noticed the alert and posted here on the forum. If I noticed anything ever ending up in there, you can be sure that I'd action it immediately.

The other Watchtower sections contain some things, but they've all been there for a long time, and unfortunately they'll have to stay there. For example, one entry is the 8-digit numeric pincode to access a 24-h Gym in my neighborhood. I can't change it. 1Password still warns me that the "password" is weak. (While off topic, this would also be a bit of product feedback.)

• @tompave

Do you also see the Compromised Websites section of Watchtower empty if you check through 1Password.com? In general, does the Watchtower report that it generates line up with what you're seeing in 1Password on your Mac?

Similarly, could you let me know if the new Watchtower in 1Password 8 reports correctly? ☞ Upgrade to 1Password 8 for Mac

For example, one entry is the 8-digit numeric pincode to access a 24-h Gym in my neighborhood. I can't change it. 1Password still warns me that the "password" is weak. (While off topic, this would also be a bit of product feedback.)

To avoid Watchtower classifying this as a "weak" password, you could add it as an additional field, since it's only the main password field at the top of the item which is classified in that way. It'll look something like this (note: screenshot from 1Password 8).

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help.

• tompave
    tompave
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @GreyM1P,

thank you for the suggestion.
    I'm afraid that I'm neither using 1Password 8, nor a 1Password.com account.

I tried upgrading to a 1Password.com account some time ago. I get so much value out of 1Password that I wouldn't mind paying a recurring subscription fee, and I understand the benefits. Unfortunately, there were a number of small UX differences that made it unusable for me, so I reverted my local 1Password 7 installation to my standalone licence. I actually still recommend it to friends and family, and I have had them set up a 1Password.com account. It's just not for me.
    For a similar reason, I don't want to upgrade to 1Password 8 for Mac because it requires a 1Password.com account, which I do not want. 1Password 7 still works great. When one day it will stop working, I'll switch to an alternative.

Also, thank you for the tip on the "weak password" field!

• @tompave

With the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. I strongly encourage you to update to the latest and greatest version as soon as you have the chance. 🙂

We've made quite a few improvements to 1Password 8 over the last year and you might find that the UX issues that you ran into when you tried the app last have been fixed. If you're open to trying 1Password 8 again then we're currently offering big discounts on 1Password memberships to users who have been using our licensed version of 1Password. If you're interested then send in an email to support+tradein@1password.com so that our billing team can offer you a heavily discounted 1Password membership.

-Dave

• tompave
    tompave
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Dave_1P, thank you for the info.
    Do you still expand all the attachments as individual entries? My biggest issue what that lots of my 1Password entries have attached files, and when I ported my standalone-license vault data into the 1Password account, the app was basically unusable. Every time I searched for anything, the actual result was drowned in a sea of attachments.

• @tompave

In November 2021 we released an update that allows users to migrate attachments from their standalone vault to a 1Password account:

Account migrator now maintains attachments when moving your standalone vault data over to your account. {!9508}

If you're interested, we have a dedicated migration team that has more information about safely migrating your vault to a 1Password account. You can reach them using the email address in my previous post: support+tradein@1password.com

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• tompave
    tompave
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I'll look into it!

• @tompave

Sounds good. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.