How to Sync

I am a new user coming from Lastpass. When I enter a new login sometimes it takes hours before its synced between desktop/browser/mobile apps. How do I manually initialize a sync

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:not syncing

Comments

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Any changes you make on one device are immediately available everywhere else.
    This including in the extensions of browsers.
    You can read this: https://support.1password.com/sync/
    If you do not change any data, synchronization is unnecessary.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

There is no manual sync button. I'm not missing either. For me, sync always appeared to be instant.

If it takes longer time for you, you have connectivity issues (wifi or internet). I guess 1Password will restart syncing on its own as soon as connectivity issues are gone, so what you need to do is checking and restoring your wifi and internet connectivity if you observe sync issues.

A quick test on my side suggested that restarting the app after restoring network connectivity will actively initiate a successful sync.

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member

At startup, after unlocking, the synchronization is done since the program must check if there have been any modifications. So there is a comparison between the file on the device and the one on the 1Password servers.

• DougCommunity
    DougCommunity
    Community Member

I am having the exact same problem as mmitch2k. I updated a password for a website on the app on my iMac. Ten minutes later I log on to my Windows PC. I go to log into the same website from my PC and the login failed. It turns out the password on my Chrome browser extension being used was my old password. I checked the app on the same Windows computer and it has the updated password so that I can copy and paste the password and get logged-on, but then check the Chrome browser extension and it still has the old password. No problem for me to do the workaround, but for my wife who I am trying to convince that we need to use strong passwords and a password manager, it is going to be a hard sell if things like this happen.

• ikjadoon
    ikjadoon
    Community Member

I've been working through the exact same problem with 1Password for a few weeks, with no resolution. However, the logs are seemingly helping 1Password get to the bottom of this genuinely-app-breaking bug.

Could I ask @mmitch2k and @DougCommunity to send your support logs via email to 1Password support, whenever you had a chance? Here are the official instructions: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

We've had it sporadically on a Chromebook, an iPhone XR, and an M1 Macbook Air (all on our home network, using a Synology RT2600ac router).

Changing passwords feels like Russian roulette now. Luckily, password history saves us, but we've reset some passwords 3x-4x before we realized 1Password had stopped syncing hours ago.

• mmitch2k
    mmitch2k
    Community Member

@ikjadoon will do once it happens again. finally synced after a few days.

• Sounds good mmitch2k My colleagues in email support are always willing to help.

• erkiha
    erkiha
    Community Member

Sync does not work correctly or is very slow. I have no connection issues everything else works perfectly. When I save item on chrome it is not possible to edit it in app, as search does not find it. Workaround is that I need to log out of windows 1password app and log in again. That forces sync and I can edit the item. Would be much more convenient to have a button to force sync if for whatever reason the normal sync is delayed.

• @erkiha

Eh, that's not the way it should be going. Sorry about that. To force a sync you should be able to lock and unlock 1Password. Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. One of my email colleagues can help troubleshoot the issue and see if we can find you a solution. When this occurs have you checked to see if the item is available on 1Password.com?

• dgarrison63
    dgarrison63
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue on MacOS 13.2 (Intel) and Chrome 11. I modified the password on the 1Password vault and, an hour later, the browser extension showed the old password. I''ve never had this issue in the 4+ years using LastPass and this, plus some other usability problems, is making me hesitate on fully migrating away from LastPass.

While we all know that LastPass has been breached at least a couple of times, for me, 1Password is nowhere as simple or as seamless an integration.

May have to look at Bitwarden next...

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @dgarrison63 - I'm truly sorry to hear about the behaviour you've run into. That amount of time between syncing isn't normal, and I'd be happy to assist further.

• If you manually lock and then unlock the browser extension, does that improve the time it takes to sync at all?
    • Do you have the 1Password app (desktop app) installed as well?

• If yes, does unlocking the 1Password app also unlock the browser extension? Or do they need to be unlocked separately?
      • Is the extension the only one slow to sync? Or does the issue happen in the app as well?
    • Do you have two-factor authentication enabled on your 1Password account?

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.