Failing to connect to server at through authenticating company proxy

Options
jacmorel
jacmorel
Community Member

This has been the case since 8 beta but today I decided to do something about it. Hopefully you can use me to troubleshoot the proxy connection issue which seems several users are experiencing too.

Basically, from home if I do not connect to my work VPN and use the corporate proxy to go to the internet, 1password app connects and syncs perfectly. As soon as I connect to my work VPN and the proxy is in force 1password will fail connecting and the red strike-through cloud icon appears in the menu. Reconnection fails the same way.
I have tried the following Wifi Proxy Settings:

• Automatic Proxy Configuration with a pac file and
  • Web Proxy with the corp proxy directly specified with credentials
  • Web Proxy with the corp proxy directly specified without my credentials.
    All results in loss of connectivity.

In the log whatever my wifi proxy settings (pac, proxy w/o creds, proxy w/ creds) the error is the same (even with full machine reboot in between changes)

ERROR 2023-01-20T00:32:07.314 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(1)) [1P:foundation/op-proxy/src/lib.rs:255] proxy test network connection failed: error sending request for url (<redacted URL>): error trying to connect: tls handshake eof
INFO  2023-01-20T00:32:07.314 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(1)) [1P:foundation/op-proxy/src/apple.rs:348] skipping proxy returned by PAC since we couldn't connect to it: Network(Network(error sending request for url (<redacted URL>): error trying to connect: tls handshake eof))

Since the url is redacted we can't make sure it is the right proxy config. However since it is the same error even when a PAC is not involved we can assume it is not related to the auto config but to the connectivity to the proxy itself. The TLS handshake EOF error log entry supports that hypothesis.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Thanks in advance!

Jacques

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: 2.5.2
OS Version: 12.6.2
Browser:_ Chrome 109.0.5414.87

Comments

• Hello @jacmorel! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password for Mac isn't connecting through your corporate proxy. There are few different proxy issues that our developers are investigating. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• jacmorel
    jacmorel
    Community Member
    Options

I have sent the info to support+forum@1password.com 6 days ago but I have not received a response yet. I tested sending the same email with the attachments to my personal and did not receive it. If I don't have the attachment is goes through. So our mail proxy is blocking the email. My work computer is also pretty much locked down i.e. can't copy files to external drive and most of the popular cloud drive are blocked by the proxy. What can you expect from a financial institution... such is my life ;-)
    So is there any other way for me to share my diagnostics?
    Or is there something in the diagnostics you want me to look at.
    Alternatively I would gladly jump in a zoom and participate into a debugging session.

-Jacques

• @jacmorel

Can you try to send another email with a link to this forum thread and with no attachments to support+forum@1password.com

Once I receive an email from you I can send you a secure upload link to send in your diagnostics report.

-Dave

• mattf
    mattf
    Community Member
    Options

I am also unable to find any help with connecting through a proxy. Where is the info? Is this still an issue?

• mattf
    mattf
    Community Member
    Options

Is proxy configuration support still missing? Please help.

1Password Version: 8
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Mac
    Browser:_ Chrome
    Referrer: forum-search:proxy

• jacmorel
    jacmorel
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Sorry it took so long but I just sent you the requested email. Looking forward to connecting and solving this!

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

@jacmorel

Did you receive a support id? I did not find a submission associated with the email used here in the community. Please do not share the address with me if something different was used. Provide the support id to protect your privacy.

• @mattf

Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. The reason for the report is there are a couple of suggestions we can make and those suggestion will depend on what the report indicates.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press command and comma. The 1Password preferences will open.
    3. Tap Advanced.
    4. Click Send Diagnostics.
    5. Click Reveal to locate the report in your downloads folder.

Attach the diagnostics to your email message.

• Your forum username: mattf
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/137110/failing-to-connect-to-server-at-through-authenticating-company-proxy#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• jacmorel
    jacmorel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Matt, Grey reached to me via email. I responded but I am not getting any response. I have my phone number in the email. Please text me if you can so we can get this faster turn around.

• @jacmorel

Do you have a support id you can share? I can check on the ticket for you.

• jacmorel
    jacmorel
    Community Member
    Options

[#SBM-26872-181]

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

@jacmorel

I responded but I am not getting any response.

It looks as if we did not receive a reply. The last message we have logged is from Grey's outgoing message to you. Could you send your reply again? If not, the conversation may seem disjointed and the same questions would likely be asked again.

Please make sure to reply to grey's message and/or include your support id in the subject line. Thank you kindly.

ref: SBM-26872-181

• mrkidd
    mrkidd
    Community Member
    Options

I am also experiencing this same issue. Let me know if you would like any logs etc.

• Hey @mrkidd

Please email us and we'll do our best to help. Due to the varied configurations it might take a few suggestions. Please email using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• jacmorel
    jacmorel
    Community Member
    Options

It appears that my work proxy is blocking the email somehow. I am looking into it.

• jacmorel
    jacmorel
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I copied to my personal email and I received it so you should have too. The support id is first in the title.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2023
    Options

@jacmorel

Thank you, I see that my colleague sent you a reply a few hours ago. Please continue the discussion over in the email thread. 🙂

-Dave

ref: SBM-26872-181

This discussion has been closed.