Chrome Extension: Suggested Passwords Don't Work, Unable To Save Items, Doesn't Sync

Options

Hello,
I'm admittedly very new to 1Password so am probably doing something wrong. I hopped ship from LastPass yesterday after being with them since 2016 and watching various breaches, and never being prompted to update my password iteration from the 5000 that was set in 2016. You don't know what you don't know.

First, I'm excited to see this is an active community and that 1Password implements good security standards, while still maintaining cloud sync and multiple device features, which support my usage.

Having said that I've ran into a few issues, a suggestion, and have a question as well.

For my current setup I have 1Password installed on my Android phone (Google Pixel 7 Pro), I have 1Password for Windows 8.9.10 (80910043) installed on my Windows 11 PC, and I have the Chrome extension installed. I've made sure I have all Windows updates, and have my extension and the Windows app. I've added two YubiKey 5 series and Google Authenticator for MFA.

Current issues:
1. In the Chrome extension I cannot Save or Update items. I have a screenshot showing both of these. There is a button to save/update and I get red text below that says Unable to save item.
2. In Chrome extension I am unable to use the suggested password. I have a screenshot that shows this. I can click the button, it turns blue but nothing happens. I can't copy the suggested password, and I cannot use the mouse cursor to highlight and use it. Likewise a right-click provides a context menu but nowhere in there is the option to get the password that is suggested.
3. Syncing does not really seem to work. I have tried adding changed passwords (going through an intermediary text editor due to the aforementioned issues above regarding he chrome extension not working well) directly to site in my vault in the 1Password website, directly to the Chrome extension, and directly to the Windows app. In all cases syncing does not seem to work. I found this out first after changing all my email passwords and then being hosed trying to use them later. Luckily quitting the Windows app and logging back in, once I figured that all out, forced a sync. However this issues continues to occur. I hope I don't need to quit the Windows app every time I update or change a password as I want to change most of my 300 passwords due to the LastPass breach.

Questions:
1. What is the flow most people use (or recommended) to change a website password in 1Password? Do you change it in the Chrome extension, Windows App, or 1Password site? Frankly I'm hoping for whatever syncs fastest so I don't have to deal with lockouts and resets again.
2. Are there additional security settings that are recommended to increase, such as iterations/others, so as to lessen/mitigate my issues if 1Password is breached like LastPass was?

Suggestions:
1. Perhaps this exists and I've missed it but I do miss being able to easily generate a strong password anywhere with LastPass. In 1Password I've found this in the Chrome extension in the hamburger menu --> Password Generator. I have yet to find this in the Windows App or the 1Password site. Outside of going into a specific existing site and then clicking edit. The problem is that only works for existing items, not for new sites that are being added.
2. Please recognize when a new credential has been created for a site, or updated with an existing site and give us the option to add the new item, or update the existing item. It was a nice feature in LastPass that makes adding and updating credentials much more seamless.

Lastly I recognize that some of the issues, questions, and suggestions above may be from me being new to 1Password and not aware of all of its features and usage.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 22H2 22621.963
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Augestflex
    Augestflex
    Community Member
    Options

For the first time since I started using 1Password I was able to click and use the Suggested password from the Chrome extension and update the change with out the red text saying unable to save item. I haven't changed anything. Likewise the site seemed to sync near immediately to my Windows app.

Does it just take some time after initial account creation and password import for things to work properly? All I can think is that time has passed. Since the account creation and password csv import yesterday afternoon.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hey @Augestflex! I'll reply to your message below:

Current issues:
    1. In the Chrome extension I cannot Save or Update items. I have a screenshot showing both of these. There is a button to save/update and I get red text below that says Unable to save item.
    2. In Chrome extension I am unable to use the suggested password. I have a screenshot that shows this. I can click the button, it turns blue but nothing happens. I can't copy the suggested password, and I cannot use the mouse cursor to highlight and use it. Likewise a right-click provides a context menu but nowhere in there is the option to get the password that is suggested.
    3. Syncing does not really seem to work. I have tried adding changed passwords (going through an intermediary text editor due to the aforementioned issues above regarding he chrome extension not working well) directly to site in my vault in the 1Password website, directly to the Chrome extension, and directly to the Windows app. In all cases syncing does not seem to work. I found this out first after changing all my email passwords and then being hosed trying to use them later. Luckily quitting the Windows app and logging back in, once I figured that all out, forced a sync. However this issues continues to occur. I hope I don't need to quit the Windows app every time I update or change a password as I want to change most of my 300 passwords due to the LastPass breach.

It sounds like you may have run into a known issue with the extension. Though things are working now, I do want to apologize for the trouble. I would recommend the following if you run into the error again:

1. Lock the 1Password app (which also locks the extension).
    2. Unlock the 1Password app (which also unlocks the extension).

The above steps force the extension and app to sync. We've found that forcing that sync can resolve the error. If the error re-appears, then please let us know and we can assist further.

Questions:

1. What is the flow most people use (or recommended) to change a website password in 1Password? Do you change it in the Chrome extension, Windows App, or 1Password site? Frankly I'm hoping for whatever syncs fastest so I don't have to deal with lockouts and resets again.

Both the 1Password extension and desktop app should sync near immediately. If that's not happening, then there is likely an underlying issue and we should investigate further.

As for changing a password to an existing item, I would recommend using the extension. The extension makes it easy to go to your login's website, create a new password, save it to the website, and then save it to your login in 1Password. Here's how that is done: https://support.1password.com/generate-website-password/

1. Are there additional security settings that are recommended to increase, such as iterations/others, so as to lessen/mitigate my issues if 1Password is breached like LastPass was?

1Password protects your data with end to end encryption. No one can read that data without your Account Password and Secret Key (not even those of us in Support). To keep your data safe, I recommend that you print our your Emergency Kit (which contains your Secret Key) and fill out Account Password. Make sure to keep Emergency Kit in a safe place so that no one else can get to it.

I would also recommend turning on 2FA for your 1Password account: https://support.1password.com/two-factor-authentication/

Suggestions:

1. Perhaps this exists and I've missed it but I do miss being able to easily generate a strong password anywhere with LastPass. In 1Password I've found this in the Chrome extension in the hamburger menu --> Password Generator. I have yet to find this in the Windows App or the 1Password site. Outside of going into a specific existing site and then clicking edit. The problem is that only works for existing items, not for new sites that are being added.

The desktop app does not have an accessible password generator like the one in the extension. However, we do have a feature request for it, and I can add your post here to it. Hopefully our developers consider it in the future.

The best way to currently generate a new password in the app is to create a new item, click into the password field, and select the new password from there. Here is a video on how to do that: https://share.cleanshot.com/fFYSztHp

The way to generate a new password in your account at 1Password.com is similar. Sign in, go to your desired vault, create a new item, click on the key icon in the password field, and select the new password from there. Here is a video: https://share.cleanshot.com/Q42W7M5J

All that said, I would recommend using the extension as much as you can to generate new passwords. The extension was made to directly interact with websites in the browser. This interaction is critical to creating, filling, and saving new passwords quickly and seamlessly. The app and your account at 1Password.com do not interact with websites directly. So generating, filling, and saving new passwords from those two interfaces will always require extra steps. The process is not ideal.

1. Please recognize when a new credential has been created for a site, or updated with an existing site and give us the option to add the new item, or update the existing item. It was a nice feature in LastPass that makes adding and updating credentials much more seamless.

1Password should recognize if you have a brand new login or if you are updating an existing login. 1Password also provides an option to manually make that selection if needed. We have a guide on how it is done here: https://support.1password.com/save-fill-passwords/

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions!

• Augestflex
    Augestflex
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Joy_1P ,

I appreciate your response! Now with 1Password for 20 days and things are going smoothly. Only oddity is every once and awhile updating my password on sites the 1Password Chrome extension wants to create a new entry when I click "Save in 1Password" instead of just updating the existing credential. However, as noted that is only some of the time. Most of the time it works like a charm. This is good as I am going through and changing both my passwords and email addresses at websites due to the LastPass breach!

Thanks for the help, tips & advice, the good responses, and adding my post to the feature request,

Keep up the great work!

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.