1Password filling in password twice in password field on some websites

Options
MVRLon
MVRLon
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Strange, only happens on some websites - 1Password is filling in passwords twice into password fields on pressing cmd-/

some examples -
ui.com
wp.com
wine-pages.com

there are a few others too

Also, on the UI.com website it used to enter the 2fa code correctly, now 1p enters the 1st 3 digits (of 6) correctly, then 2 spaces and then the 4th digit.

1Password Version: 8.9.12
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: macOS 13.2
Browser:_Firefox 109.0b9

Comments

• MVRLon
    MVRLon
    Community Member
    Options

Any suggestions to fix this would be appreciated.

• MVRLon
    MVRLon
    Community Member
    Options

Anyone from 1Password reading this?

@Ben ?

• MVRLon
    MVRLon
    Community Member
    Options

seeing the 2x password filling on more sites now

Am I wasting my time posting on this forum?

• Hey @MVRLon,

Firstly, I must apologise that it has taken so long for you to receive a response on here.

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having, we have done some testing and have been able to re-create the behaviour you are seeing. It looks like the behaviour is limited to Firefox only, and happens only when 1Password is locked. If 1Password is unlocked when we try and fill with Cmd + \, the fill acts as expected. I've created a report to have our development team look a little further into what might be going wrong, and I've added your insights in support of this investigation.

In the meantime, could you try the following workaround to fill your login (when 1Password is locked)?

1. Navigate to the website you'd like to fill.
    2. See that 1Password is locked.
    3. Press Cmd + Shift + Space to invoke the Quick Access prompt.
    4. Unlock your 1Password account.
    5. You should then see the Quick Access prompt, press Return on your login item listed to autofill on the webpage.

I realize this extra step might not be as ideal as using the Cmd + \ to fill, and I'm sorry for any interruption in your workflow. Let us know if you have any questions!

ref: dev/core/core#19106

• MVRLon
    MVRLon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the follow up. I'll do as you suggest until a fix is found.

• @MVRLon

You're welcome, sorry for the disruption!

• MVRLon
    MVRLon
    Community Member
    Options

Any update? This is still not fixed in the latest versions.

• Hi @MVRLon, thanks for following up!

I don't have any news for you at this time, however, I've reached out to the team for an update. I apologize for the inconvenience.

• JessicaG
    JessicaG
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

This has been driving me nuts for ages. Finally came over here to see if people were talking about it. It's exactly as steph.giles described - specific to Firefox, and specific to using cmd-\ to autofill a password when 1Password is locked. My workaround has been to wait until the password finishes double-filling, then press cmd-\ a second time, which overwrites the doubled password with the correct one. I've learned to live with it, but it's a nuisance. Any updates on when this will be fixed?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.9 (81009046)
    Extension Version: 2.13.0
    OS Version: macOS 13.5
    Browser: Firefox 115.0.2

• Hey @JessicaG,

I'm sorry for the disruption to your workflow, I have added you as an affected user to the internal issue. In the meantime, if 1Password is unlocked when we try and fill with Cmd + \ it should fill as expected.

Could you try the following workaround to fill your login (when 1Password is locked)?

1. Navigate to the website you'd like to fill.
    2. See that 1Password is locked.
    3. Press Cmd + Shift + Space to invoke the Quick Access prompt.
    4. Unlock your 1Password account.
    5. You should then see the Quick Access prompt, press Return on your login item listed to autofill on the webpage.

I realize this extra step might not be as ideal as using the Cmd + \ to fill, let us know if you have any questions!

ref: dev/core/core#19106

• JessicaG
    JessicaG
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response, @steph.giles. I tried your steps and they work, but as I mentioned, using cmd+\ twice also works (press cmd+\, unlock, wait until the password double-fills, press cmd+\ again). This is faster for me than what you've suggested and is what I'll continue using till the problem is fixed (which I hope is soon!).

• Thanks for getting back to me @JessicaG, I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

This discussion has been closed.