I want to move my passwords from personal account on .EU to a family account .COM on Apple Macbook

Udo123
Udo123
Community Member

Hello,
I want to move my passwords from my personal 1password account to the new family account that my son has created for our hole family. To follow him I have created a new 1password account on 1password.com. By the way my old 1password account was not .COM but .EU. Now I have exported my passwords to .1piff and then de-installed the 1password app. Then I installed the 1password app again from AppStore thought I could easily login with the new account and then import passwords from .1piff. But unfortunately the old account has been installed right now including my old account data. I have had no chance to enter my new login from the new account (.COM).

What can I do to manage the change !

Udo

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Monterey 12.6
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:move 1password to familly

Comments

• @Udo123

It sounds as if you want to add the new account to the app.

How to add your 1Password account to the apps

However, if your son is going to invite you, you would need to use the account that is part of his family. The one created for you during the invite phase. It wasn't clear if you created a 3rd account or the one you were talking about was the one as part of his family.

• Udo123
    Udo123
    Community Member

Hello,
    yes, I have created the new account during the invitation phase. I didn't know that I only have to add my new account to the app?
    And then can I delete my old account and cut off from the app after I added the new account to my app. I think I will no longer use it.
    Thank you for the feedback!
    Udo

• @Udo123

I've included a few steps below on how I might take up the task.

Manage your 1Password subscription for when you are ready to cancel the old account.

1. Add the new account to the app.
    2. Get the data into the new account. Pay close attention to the warning about documents in the article linked above.

Document items can’t be copied across regions. To copy Document items, download them to your computer, then upload them to the new account.

1. Sign out of the old account. *Do not delete the account just yet.
    2. Use the new Account for a week of so and make sure there are no hiccups. Double check for all of your items during this time.
    3. Once you are ready you can stop billing etc.. [
    • Don't forget to save your new Emergency Kit. It will be different from the one you used previously.
  • Udo123
    Udo123
    Community Member

I have one more question regarding the family account. What would happen if for example my sons password would be hacked and a stranger will ... for example delete our family account or doing something else bad .... what would happen with my private tresor? Would I lose the access to my passwords? Is my tresor in the family account as save as in my personal account?
    Thank you
    Udo

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2023

@Udo123

Your data is encrypted by your password and your secret key each one is 1/2 of the combination to your data. In essence you have a special account that shares things like the shared vault. Outside of that and perhaps billing and account recovery the account is yours and it's protected by the password you decide on. I like to think of Family as a collection of accounts under one umbrella. Each user has their own little universe. No one has access to the data in your personal vault except for you.

If a nefarious person somehow managed to gain access we would put you in contact with the security team who can better advise on such a situation. The key to keeping an account secure is good security practices. I can't recommend them enough.

Yes, same security as they both have your unique password and secret key.

• Udo123
    Udo123
    Community Member

OK, thank you for that great support!
    Udo

• @Udo123

On Tommy's behalf, you're very welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.