Using 1Password in a shared workstation environment

Hi All,

Looking to move accross from Lastpass and having a look at 1Password.

Our office has many workstation, and users move around. Hybrid working etc.

With Lastpass - they can simply log into their Lastpass account on the machine they are currenty using, and have access to the folders and content that are specific to them.

I have been playing around with 1Password, and it does not seem to allow working in this fashion. There looks to be no way to log out of the App and log back in with another user.

It looks like users get added to same single main account? and they have to log inot that first, and then into their own account?

This means that they nee to know the main admin credentials - not just their own individual log in. That is not going to work for a few reasons.

Am I getting this straight?

Kind regards

Grant

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Browser:_ Firefox, Chrome

Comments

• Hi @gt65cymru

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and welcome to the 1Password Support Community. I'd be happy to provide some guidance on this.

There looks to be no way to log out of the App and log back in with another user.

That is largely true. While this is possible, it isn't the use case 1Password was designed for. The 1Password apps generally make the assumption that each user will be logging into the operating system with their own unique credentials, and thus will have a separate configuration for 1Password by the nature of the OS's profiling system.

If you're using a shared Windows account for all of your users, then that could indeed be a challenge that would have to be overcome. The best solution, from our perspective, would be to create each user their own unique Windows account. One possible alternative solution would be to have your users use the https://start.1password.com/ web app, though this does not have all of the same functionality as our desktop apps (for example — Windows Hello will not be available).

It looks like users get added to same single main account? and they have to log inot that first, and then into their own account?

No; sorry, this does not sound right. While all accounts would be within the same 1Password membership, there aren't credentials for the membership itself. Each account has its own unique credentials. There is no "main account" concept in 1Password.

This means that they nee to know the main admin credentials - not just their own individual log in. That is not going to work for a few reasons.

To reiterate: each user will have their own unique credentials and it is likely not prudent to have anyone sharing credentials for 1Password accounts. No one needs to know another user's credentials in order to access their 1Password account within the membership.

Am I getting this straight?

It sounds like there are a few concepts that are different from your present understanding. I hope I've helped explain those above. If you have further questions I'd be happy to help.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.