[USO] Button detection aborting due to timeout.

Options
psmits
psmits
Community Member

Hi,

I notice this error when 1password is active, and the button on the taskbar is clicked
[USO] Button detection aborting due to timeout.
When I disable the addon, this error is no longer present
I have the latest version of Chrome

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:[USO] Button detection aborting due to timeout.

Comments

• Roenfeldt
    Roenfeldt
    Community Member
    Options

I second that. It happens in latest Firefox for Mac (v. 109.0). I'm getting this error in the browser's console. It happened ever since the 1Password in the browser extension got updated to the 2.5.2 version (https://releases.1password.com/b5x/stable/#whats-new).

I'm a web developer and this thing polluting my browser's console is getting increasingly annoying. Is there any way of getting rid of it?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @psmits, sorry about the issue that you're seeing. Could you clarify if the error appears when you click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar? Or does it appear when you click on the 1Password icon in your computer's menu bar outside of the browser?

Your statement that "I notice this error when 1password is active, and the button on the taskbar is clicked" makes it sound as though the error appears outside of the browser. That said, I do want to double check on the matter so that we know where the error is coming from.

Additionally, I have a few more questions:

• Does the USO error appear all the time, or does it appear intermittently?
    • Does the USO error appear when you're on a specific website?
    • When the error appears, do you notice any other issues with the extension? For example, does the extension not allow you to save or fill?
    • Are you able to reproduce the behavior and send a screenshot of the error message to us?

Feel free to mask or remove any sensitive details from the screenshot. Once you're done, you can attach the screenshot to your reply and post it here. You can also send the screenshot to us via email if that works better. Let us know if you want to go that route.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Roenfeldt, we received an email from you in regards to this. We have sent you a response asking for some more information. Let's continue our conversation about the issue via email. We look forward to helping you from there!

ref: CKT-37656-842

• psmits
    psmits
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Joy_1P

Here are my experiences and answers

• The error comes when I click on the icon in the toolbar of Chrome, the add-on is pinned to be shown
    • It happens every time you need to open the add-on if it is not signed on
    • It happens when I am logging on to translate.wordpress.org, but also when I login on my own site
    • Both the environments are WordPress sites
    • I do not see any problems, appears to be working fine
    • The error I reported before cannot be reproduced currently
    • However I do see other errors after entering the clicking the icon and entering the PW

11:40:30.539 VM554:1 a: redirect_to=https%3A%2F%2Ftranslate.wordpress.org%2Flocale%2Fnl-be%2Fdefault%2Fpatterns%2Fcore%2F&locale=en_US
    11:40:30.541 VM556:1 a: redirect_to=https%3A%2F%2Ftranslate.wordpress.org%2Flocale%2Fnl-be%2Fdefault%2Fpatterns%2Fcore%2F&locale=en_US
    11:40:54.057 menu.js:4 [Violation] Added non-passive event listener to a scroll-blocking 'wheel' event. Consider marking event handler as 'passive' to make the page more responsive. See https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5745543795965952
    b @ menu.js:4
    m @ menu.js:9

The second issue currently is the fact that an image cannot be found

11:43:15.296 mysite.com.png:1 GET https://c.1password.com/richicons/images/login/120/mysite.com.png 404
    Image (async)
    P @ menu.js:4

• psmits
    psmits
    Community Member
    Options

Next log does contain the error again!
    main.js:1 [Violation] Added non-passive event listener to a scroll-blocking 'touchmove' event. Consider marking event handler as 'passive' to make the page more responsive. See https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5745543795965952
    value @ main.js:1
    o @ main.js:1
    (anonymous) @ main.js:1
    11:44:53.920 polyfills.c50a757f6f682134.js:56 [Violation] 'message' handler took 421ms
    11:44:54.012 injected.js:17 [Violation] 'setInterval' handler took 55ms
    11:44:54.353 injected.js:17 [USO] Button detection aborting due to timeout.
    11:44:54.354 injected.js:17 [Violation] 'setInterval' handler took 151ms
    11:44:54.354 [Violation] Forced reflow while executing JavaScript took 50ms

• psmits
    psmits
    Community Member
    Options

Currently the error with the button is shown, when I login on a WordPress site then open 1password by clicking the icon in the toolbar
    Then click "Autofill" on the top right, the after the fields are populated, then select "submit", the screen is refreshed and then after a few seconds it is shown. It appears to me, that "button" is defined twice and closed by maybe WordPress. So the solution would be to rename the button in 1Password

• Roenfeldt
    Roenfeldt
    Community Member
    Options

@Joy_1P thank you for trying to help me out! I've just replied to your support email :)

• tmasedev
    tmasedev
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem. As others have already said, for web developers, these messages pollute the console log and are frustrating. At the very least you should change them to console.debug() events so they only appear when Verbose is selected.

• rodneyt
    rodneyt
    Community Member
    Options

Still happening and ditto to above. Please don't pollute the console with cryptic plugin messages....

• rezelute
    rezelute
    Community Member
    Options

Came here just to say that this was driving me nuts, I was developing an app thinking that this error was coming from either the library I was using or from a hidden event listener in my code. Turns out that it was from 1password specifically on the input type=password element! A better handling of the error would be great so atleast we can figure out that its from 1password.

• me_and_myself
    me_and_myself
    Community Member
    Options

I just upgraded from 1Password 7 to v8 (and the respective browser-addon, v2.10.0 in Firefox) and can confirm this issue. It happens upon page loading but also when clicking into or leaving any input (of type text) field on the page. It's filling up the console.

Very annoying.

• gummidge
    gummidge
    Community Member
    Options

Likewise; web dev here and recently updated 1Password 7 to 8. Chrome Version 114.0.5735.133

[USO] Button detection aborting due to timeout. message permanently in the console while I'm working. Pretty annoying - would be good if you could disable, or at least add it's removal as an option in the Developers section of the prefs.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @rezelute @me_and_myself @gummidge I've tried reproducing this behavior but I do not get the messages mentioned in this thread in my console. Moreover, @Roenfeldt also let us know that they no longer see the messages either. So I'm curious about what's happening over on your end.

Could you all share the steps that trigger the messages and then share a screenshot or copy over the messages to a reply so that we can review them? Additionally, you can provide those details to us via email, where we would be able to dive deeper into what's happening in your browser specifically.

If you send those details via email, please make sure to address the email to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• francislavoie
    francislavoie
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also seeing these in my app's logs. Unfortunately I can't provide access to the app to replicate it because of privacy reasons.

Here's what triggers it though. When a modal window is opened (div overlaid on the entire screen) it shows the log. I see the log is coming from injected.js, specifically calling console.info('[USO] Button detection aborting due to timeout.'); Putting a breakpoint on this and triggering it shows the stack trace, it's from the focusin event registered with document.body.addEventListener('focusin', this.handleDomEvent), which calls findUsoProviders, which calls a minified function named Ha, which has a huge if statement with an e.forEach and inside that if body is the console.info.

As others have said, console.info should not be used here. Use console.debug instead. Or better, only print logs like this if some option is selected in 1Password extension settings.

This discussion has been closed.