New to Version 8, wanting to get off on a good footing

DerringDo
DerringDo
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Mac

Hi, and thanks. Been using 1P since 2009 (version 2.x!) and stayed with V6 until it no longer synced with my phone. Regretfully now in V8.

I'm a simple user - just want to manage my home accounts. Hoping to get this right the first time, with help. This is an individual account.

1) I want my data, and a "backup" of The Man's data, as I am the holder of all information. But I won't be using his, and don't want to see it most of the time. Is this a separate vault? A separate collection? A tag?
2) What else should go in a different vault? Do I need more than one?
3) Not sure I get "Collections" Are these what folders morphed into?
4) See my folders became "tags" which I guess I can undo/redo with some work.

Anything else folks would recommend, or wish you had done at the start? Again, many thanks.

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 13.0
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hi there @DerringDo

To answer your questions:

1) I want my data, and a "backup" of The Man's data, as I am the holder of all information. But I won't be using his, and don't want to see it most of the time. Is this a separate vault? A separate collection? A tag?

A separate vault would probably be the best option here if you want to hold items for someone else, but not look at them all the time. You can choose which vault you're using in the sidebar.

2) What else should go in a different vault? Do I need more than one?

You probably don't need more than one vault for home use. If you were using 1Password for multiple purposes and you didn't want to see item for work in your home vault, for example, you could do that, but many home users will be fine with just the Personal vault.

3) Not sure I get "Collections" Are these what folders morphed into?

Collections are a set of one or more vaults from one or more 1Password accounts.

In my daily workflow, I need the items from my personal 1Password account as well as some of the vaults from my work 1Password account visible. I've created a collection called "Everyday" which includes those vaults. You'll only really need to use collections if you start using multiple vaults. There's more information about how to use collections here:

Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

4) See my folders became "tags" which I guess I can undo/redo with some work.

Yes, this is correct. The old folder hierarchy was replaced with tags going back to 1Password 7.

I hope that answers your questions fully, but please do let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

— Grey

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member

Many thanks. I'll take a look at the vault and collections info, and come back if I run into more unknowns. Appreciate the pointers.

• @DerringDo

We'll be here if you need us. :)

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Yes, @GreyM1P is right, of course: you can use vault-selection to easily see the items you want to see. Or not. But if there were several vaults involved, then you'd want Collections!

In my case, I've four vaults for Annoying Entity's items, because those items might be shared with three different groups. Plus, I've a few vaults for my personal stuff, including "shared with spouse", "shared with family", and "nobody cares but me".

In order to quickly see all the Annoying stuff, or filter it all out, I've got Annoying Entity's vaults in one collection, and my own stuff in another.

So with two clicks I can see only the one Collection, or the other one, or all of it (by selecting your account in the app).

PS to @DerringDo:
    That "Collections" feature is one of the few reasons I haven't reverted to 1Password 7, which is otherwise superior to the rewrite, because it has several important features that were unaccountably removed from the prematurely-released 1P 8, such as multiple-item tagging and reordering the fields within items.

Also, 1P 7 is innocent of certain ill-conceived & under-tested UI "innovations", such as the non-intuitive & non-standard behavior of Search. (Workaround: press Ctrl+Enter to see the correct & expected search results.)

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member

Hey, many thanks for the post. And now very fond of "annoying entity" as a way of organizing things. Would like to not see the things I'm warehousing, so perhaps the collections are the way to go.

I miss V6, and swore I'd never go non-local with my passwords, yet here I am. Still trying to sort out all the behaviors. Again, thanks for taking the time.

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Well, as Grey said, you don't need Collections unless either you or The Man has multiple vaults. If The Man's stuff goes in one vault, and your stuff goes in another, then selecting the vault of your choice is good enough.

In my case, selecting the four I do want, versus the four I don't want, is a bit much. So I'm grateful for Collections.

(And yes, these forums can be a lifesaver. The staff are endlessly helpful, and show nothing but patience to the often-irritable users.)

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member

If I search, even having selected my vault, I still see his items, though, is that the current behavior? Was hoping to just... keep them around without ever seeing them. So long as you can open up to "all items" when needed.

Not certain what Ctrl/Enter should do for me in search... Anyway, feel free to stop answering ques.

• @DerringDo

If I search, even having selected my vault, I still see his items, though, is that the current behavior?

Please try the following:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. From the sidebar, click on the vault that you'd like to limit the search to.
    3. Press Command-F on your keyboard.
    4. Type the term that you'd like to search for.

Does that allow you to search for items in just one vault? Let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member

Thanks, Dave, it does. It pre-populates the search field with the one vault name, and limits the search.

Not certain I'll remember to do that when I pop in to go to a bank, but it's definitely the correct behavior.

• @DerringDo

I'm happy that the steps helped. For the future, you can create a collection that contains just that vault so that you can easily switch to it when needed: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

-Dave

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member

Thank you again. I'll give that a try, too. Still getting used to the new version, and appreciate the pointers.

• Happy to help. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.