1Password issue populating the username on Morgan Stanley Stockplan site

Just spotted an issue (which has a manual workaround) on the https://stockplanconnect.morganstanley.com website when logging in.
1Password populates the username, but webpage is set so that it physically changes the username entered, masking out all but the first 2 and the last 2 characters. So for example, when 1Password populates a username "mytestuser", the web page changes the name to "my******er". 1Password then populates the password field no problem, but of course by this stage the physical name is set by the web page to "my******er" which of course is not correct.

So for now the present workaround is to manually replace the username by typing or pasting it into the username field, after the password field has been populated. Doing this allows a successful log in.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:stockplan

Comments

• Hello @uwalakab, thank you for taking the time and sharing this with us.

I've done some testing on the website you've provided and have been able to recreate the same behaviour. I've created an issue for our development team to look further into this, and determine if we can make some improvement to the way 1Password interprets this specific site.

In the meantime, you can click the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar, then click and drag the username into the field to fill in.

I hope this helps!

ref: dev/core/core#19612

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Hi @EvonG1P , Many thanks for your prompt reply and also that neat feature of being able to drag the name, (didn't know that existed!).
    But I regret to inform you that although the dragging the username feature populates the field correctly, somehow the website does not accept the sitting credentials and fails the login. If you manually type or paste the username, then it logs in.

However......
    Try the following and it all appears to work. Of course you need to have saved the user ID, password and website link login in 1Password.

1. Go to the https://stockplanconnect.morganstanley.com website.
    2. Click so that the typing cursor is in the username field of the web page.
    3. Click the 1Password Extension icon in the browser to view the 1Password entry details for the website.
    4. Click on the Autofill button. The username is auto populated by 1Password.
    5. Then click the password field. The password is auto populated by 1Password.
    6. Click "Go" on the web page to successfully log in.

(Note for Points 4 and 5, I've checked, and it does not matter if there is anything already in the username and password fields. 1Password overwrites it. But it does not work when clicking the small 1Password icon that appears within the right-hand side of the field being entered. You must use the "Autofill" button as mentioned on Point 4).

So this way, 1Password is working, but perhaps it could do with some further tweaking maybe?

Best regards,

Benet.

• Hi @uwalakab, thank you for the additional details on this.

It's great to hear that using "Autofill" from the extension works as well!

I've updated the issue I've created to include these details for our team to see.

Please let me know if there's anything else we can help you with.

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Hi @EvonG1P

Just an update. I've tried this on the Chrome Browser and the "Auto fill" method does not work as it does on Firefox Browser, so please would you check this out too? The populating of the user name by the website code seems a little more feisty and causes consistent failure. I can only guess or imagine that the Edge browser is likely to behave in a similar way.

Kind regards,

Benet.

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Hi @EvonG1P - The challenge here I guess would be working with whatever code on that page that obfuscates the username after it has been entered. I've not really seen that type of username obfuscation feature on any other site, so am guessing this type of scenario is rare.

Best regards,

Benet.

• Thank you for the information @uwalakab, let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

This discussion has been closed.