How does searching work? I search on an IP address like "10.8.0.10" and get crazy results

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Mac

When I do a search as described, I get a random set of results, most of which do not contain that text string. This occurs whether or not the search string is placed within quotes.

What are the rules for searching?

It does not help that one cannot search within the results easily. Many of the results of search a search a long lists of IP addresses, and it is not easy to see if it is in the list or not. One has to copy the content into another editor and search there.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.4
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue when searching for a domain. I think having a dot in the search throws it out and gives me results as if the '.' was an 'OR'.

Can anyone from 1Password comment please?

• Hi @JamesHenderson / @jasimon9:

I wasn't immediately able to replicate this on our beta release. We're continuing to make improvements to search. If you'd like, give the beta a try and see if that improves your state of play. Let me know!

Use 1Password beta releases

Jack

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jack.P_1P how risky is using the beta? How long before it is likely released as production?

• Hi @JamesHenderson:

Our beta releases go through the same QA process as the production builds do. Many of us internally use the beta or nightly releases on a daily basis.

Jack

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

this is still not working for me in 8.9.4

• Hi @JamesHenderson:

Thanks for following up. Are you able to share of an example of where this isn't returning results as expected. Be sure to not share any personal details here. You can also send a screenshot to us directly via email support+forum@1password.com. If you do, include your username JamesHenderson and a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/131955/how-does-searching-work-i-search-on-an-ip-address-like-10-8-0-10-and-get-crazy-results#latest

Let me know!

Jack

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

done via email - thanks.

• Thanks, I've located your reply. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: FGI-35966-955

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

For anyone else tearing their hair out over this, I have just found out that it works correctly with 'find' (⌥⌘F) but not search.

No clue why and also bemused that there is both a search and a find. What's that all about?

edit: Ignore that, 'find' does not look in all fields :/ - so even weirder that it exists (to me).

I received an official survey asking about 1Password a few days ago. One of the questions was 'why did you like 1PW'. The answers included something like 'I like the fact I can store all this extras info'. ...but what's the point if you cannot search it properly?

• andrew.l_1P
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @JamesHenderson,

Appreciate you sharing your findings with the community. Your original observation is also our current working theory, that . in a search string splits it into additional search queries. Hopefully we'll be able to share some updates about this in the future.

Regarding search behaviour, we do have an ongoing internal discussion about the current search vs. find options, so I'll share your feedback there.

Thanks for your insight on these subjects!

ref: IDEA-I-289
    ref: dev/core/core#17472

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

• @JamesHenderson

Thank you again for your follow-up here. 🙂

-Dave

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

Any news on whether/when you guys might address this?

Thanks, J.

• @JamesHenderson

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any updates beyond what my colleague Andrew posted on Monday. Our developers are aware that this is something in need of fixing and hopefully search can be improved for these sorts of queries in the future. I hope you can understand. 🙂

-Dave

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P ...any update? It's been a while.

• @JamesHenderson

I've taken a look at the internal work item and, while this is still on our developer's radar, I don't see any updates that I can pass along at the moment. When, and if, the issue is addressed you'll see it listed in our release notes: 1Password Releases

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

-Dave

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for the update 👍

...It's feels like it won't get done at all.

• @JamesHenderson

My colleagues and I on the customer support team aren't able to say when the developers will get to this but it is in their backlog and hopefully it'll be addressed in the future. Thank you again for reporting the issue.

-Dave

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Understood. I'm not holding my breath though.

• 🤞

-Dave

• adamjb
    adamjb
    Community Member
    Options

How can search be broken this badly for at least 5 months with no fix in sight?

I have lots of passwords saved for IP addresses and the results I get are junk!

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@adamjb I Know. It's embarrassing.

It's also a massive red flag for me over their attention to detail, addressing basic customer needs and therefore their overall strategy.

I'm currently evaluating alternates...

• adamjb
    adamjb
    Community Member
    Options

Things you would maybe expect to work but don't:

• Double-quotes: "10.0.0.1"
    • Single-quotes: '10.0.0.1'
    • Escaping the periods: 10\.0\.0\.1

And on another note, having to press CMD+Enter just to search is also extremely inconvenient for anyone who actually wants to use search to... search!

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

yep.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

It took ten months to get an essential feature like substring search back. But I haven't seen a single sign from Agilebits that they are going to revert the other search regressions like:

• arbitrarily split search terms into words and using boolean 'or' concatenation instead just search or at least use boolean 'and'
    • instead of an annoying popup window that prefilters results just show all results and get rid of the extra keyboard shortcut

In short just bring back the UI and workflow of the previous 1PW versions.

• alexn
    alexn
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue with 1Password 8. I used to search by entering a part of IP address in 1P 7 and it worked perfectly. But now when I enter for example 0.7 to find 192.168.0.7, instead I get so many unnecessary results. And any types of quotes are ignored indeed.

This discussion has been closed.