Unlock with Apple Watch or Touch ID

Options
BillNYC212
BillNYC212
Community Member

The options to enable apple watch or touchid don't show up in my 1password settings.

1) MacBook Pro Intel i7 running Ventura 13.1 with touchbar.
2) Mac Mini also running latest Ventura.

I can unlock both machines with my apple watch.

What do you recommend?

Thx

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ventura 13.1
Browser:_ Chrome and Firefox

Comments

• srothman
    srothman
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. I'm using up-to-date 1Password (8.9.13), my Watch is up to date, and my iMac is running Monterey 12.6.2. I can use my Watch to unlock my Mac. I read that 1Password had an option in the Security tab of Settings - but nothing about the Watch shows up.

• BillNYC212
    BillNYC212
    Community Member
    Options

yes, that's exactly what I see too

• Hello @BillNYC212 and @srothman! 👋

I'm sorry that Apple Watch unlock isn't working for 1Password. As a start, can you make sure that your Mac is listed as a supported Mac here: Use your Apple Watch to unlock 1Password on your Mac

If your Mac is listed on that page then please try these steps:

1. Disable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Settings > Touch ID & Password > Uncheck your Apple Watch under "Use your Apple Watch to unlock your applications and your Mac")
    2. Turn off your Mac.
    3. Restart your Apple Watch: Restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support
    4. Turn on your Mac.
    5. Enable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Settings > Touch ID & Password > Check your Apple Watch under "Use your Apple Watch to unlock your applications and your Mac")
    6. Enable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password for Mac (1Password > Settings > Security > Check "Apple Watch").

Let me know if that helps. 🙂

-Dave

• srothman
    srothman
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Just tried that (saw it on another similar post) - didn't seem to make any difference. Watch unlock still works for iMac stuff, there's still no entry for it on the 1Password Security tab.

Oh wait, maybe I discovered the problem, my iMac is "iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)" so maybe it doesn't have a Security Enclave?

• @srothman

I'm sorry that the steps didn't work. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• srothman
    srothman
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

sent the diagnostics in, the support ID is [#PKV-96274-759]

Is it the Secure Enclave issue?

• @srothman

Thank you for posting the Support ID. I've taken a look at the diagnostics report and replied to your email. Let's continue the conversation there. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PKV-96274-759

• srothman
    srothman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I got the email and the Secure Enclave appears to be the problem I guess. Sorry that I didn't pay closer attention to the FIRST suggested troubleshooting step (to make sure the Mac was supported). I just didn't conceive that a 4-year old iMac was gonna be too old for this feature. But if 1Password feels the Secure Enclave is required for this feature to be safe I trust you. My one suggestion would be to make this more clear to the users so they don't spend a lot of time running down restarts and diagnostics etc. Again, I acknowledge that your very first question was "Is this a supported Mac" but I bet I'm not the only one who just "assumes" that a fairly new Mac would be supported. So maybe in the interest of good communications it would be good to elaborate that this feature is only available with Secure Enclave and Macs manufactured as recently as 3 or 4 years ago may not have the required conditions.

• @srothman

I'm sorry for the confusion and frustration. I think that your suggestion is a good idea and I've filed a feature request on your behalf with the product team so that they can look into improving this in the future.

Thank you for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-30191544

• srothman
    srothman
    Community Member
    Options

And thanks for your support!

• BillNYC212
    BillNYC212
    Community Member
    Options

I was about to send in a diagnostic report too, but I could not find where to create the report! This led me to realize I have only the Chrome and Firefox add ins installed, but not the Mac 1password app.

I installed it and NOW I see the Apple Watch options. And now I can unlock with watch or the touchid.

Your directions are little confusing as the settings web page looks almost exactly like the settings page in the desktop app. HOWEVER the web page doesn't have any of the settings for the watch. Perhaps its obvious to some but I definitely missed that detail for the past couple of days.

Also, the create a new 1password account process kind of steered me to the browser extensions first, so I figured that was all I needed.

Does this make sense?

Thx

• @BillNYC212

I'm sorry for the confusion. The 1Password 8 for Mac app does indeed have to be installed for features like Apple Watch unlock to work. This is because the app is responsible for the Apple Watch unlock process and for securely storing the secret that unlocks 1Password and keeps it unlocked.

I've passed along your experience to the product team so that they can look into how to help users learn about the app sooner in the onboarding process. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-30499680

• srothman
    srothman
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased a third-party book about 1Password and they have a nice discussion about the relationship between the app and the add-ins and what they can and can't do. Ideally one doesn't buy a separate book, but realistically it's improved my experience with 1Pass: https://www.takecontrolbooks.com/1password/ (ironically, it was this book that made me want to try the "unlock with Apple watch feature" in the first place, and the book itself doesn't mention that Secure Enclave is required - but I wrote to him and he promised to include the info in the next edition. Both with the book and the software product, it's nice to get the personal help!

• @srothman

I can't personally vouch for that third-party book or for the accuracy of the information that it contains but I'm glad that you found a helpful resource. We've also published quite a few official resources:

• Our YouTube Channel includes a large collection of videos that describe 1Password visually: 1Password - YouTube
    • Our Support website includes How To guides on everything that you might want to do in 1Password: 1Password Support

But the best place to start with is 1Password University which is a free online learning tool. 1Password University includes lessons on 1Password, online security basics, and more. You can sign-up here: 1Password University

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.