Cannot Update Field Type in 1Password 8 macOS

In 1P7 it was possible to change the field type. For example, if I had a text field named "Door Code" I could change it to be a password field so it is automatically obscured. In 1P8 that is no longer possible and you have to create a new field.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:cannot change field type

Comments

• BillD
    BillD
    Community Member

+1 for me. As I said in another thread, I use the password generator for "secret question" answers and then turn them to plain text. Can't do it in 1PW 8.

• Hello @dsjr2006 @BillD, thank you for this suggestion. We do have an open feature request for this with our development team, so I have added a vote each on your behalf. Thank you for letting us know that this matters to you, and why!

ref: IDEA-I-530

• dsjr2006
    dsjr2006
    Community Member

Thanks.

I also cannot change a credit card type. ex. Visa -> Mastercard.g

• Noted, @dsjr2006. I'll follow up on this for you!

• friedlotto
    friedlotto
    Community Member

Vote+1

• ag_mike_d
    edited June 2022

Thanks @friedlotto, I added your vote. 😀

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Seems like there is a lot of desire for this feature to return. Any reason why it was removed? It's super convenient to have in 1P7 and uber-frustrating to have to pick the field type before just entering information in 1P8.

• Hi @esquared, I don't have any additional info on this (other than to say that 1Password 8 was fully coded from the ground up, and not an incremental update to 1Password 7, so any feature that's in it had to be built from scratch). But we're closely tracking feedback about it, and I have just added a vote for the feature on your behalf as well. Thanks for letting us know that this is something you find valuable!

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Coming back to this only because I've become increasingly frustrated with the level of friction that the new UX imposes, and suggest you read my other post here in which I describe what I see as unnecessary friction in this and other aspects of 1P8.

• Hi @esquared, thanks once again for your feedback here. I can certainly appreciate the value of that principle of least friction.

My understanding is that our developers are currently looking at what it would take to make this feature happen, but I don't have more to share beyond that at this point. We do appreciate your patience, and I'll be happy to respond more in-depth to the other post you linked over there. 👋

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

I understand that time is needed to evaluate the cost of implementing such a feature in the new, cross-platform, UI infrastructure, but this again bit me today - it's a TOTAL pain to have to add a new field just to turn it from a text box to a date or password. Please, this worked perfectly in 1Password7 and should not be something that is simply dropped in favor of a "streamlined" UX.

Any updates from behind the curtain? (Meta comment: I'm finding this curtain to be exceedingly frustrating)

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Oh, and on top of the need to create a new field, I can't even copy/paste the field title, which means I have to re-type that by hand, and worse, I can't put the field back where it belongs because I can't reroder fields (and here and this too).

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

I cannot believe that this is not possible in 1P8. This is one of the integral and killer features of 1P and we have always used this. all the time.

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member

Just want to add a vote to possibility of changing type of existing fields.

Use this in 1P 7 mostly when I do the clean ups of some of the older entries. And when there are 1500+ of them you can be sure there is always something that is asking for attention...)

• Noted. Thanks for letting us know this matters to you.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

@ag_tommy, @PeterG_1P or any other AB/1P folks - any update on this? Can you provide any update on the "priority" of this request? It's really quite frustrating to have to run 1Password7 right beside 1Password8 just to be able to edit the type of the field, though that's what I'm doing. This seems like a really useful feature to many of us and I'm surprised it's functionality was removed from the previous version.

• @esquared

I don't have any updates to share. We'll keep voicing your request to the product team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-30554352

This discussion has been closed.