Hundreds of duplicates

briankrock
briankrock
Community Member

Made the decision to upgrade to version 8 and immediately regretted it. Probably 80% of my (hundreds of) logins were duplicated with no obvious pattern as to which were duplicated and which were not. And the ones that were duplicated were not duplicated in full, some elements such as associated website were omitted.

Please let me know how to undo this upgrade and remove whatever duplication occurred on the migration.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @briankrock:

This definitely isn't the experience want you to have. As it currently stands, 1Password 8 doesn't have any sort of duplicate detector. If you'd like to clean up these duplicates, you can uninstall 1Password 8, reinstall 1Password 7, add your 1Password account, select the vault that contains your duplicated items, then use Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items.

I realize this isn't ideal, and I've shared your thoughts internally.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-615

• Sal160
    Sal160
    Community Member

I have the same problem and discovered the duplicates are some of my very own cards which I saved in Shared vaults showing along with my cards saved in my Private vaults.

I don’t think that removing 1P8 is the professional answer anyone would like to hear. Fix the app, it is horrible. Frankly, I don’t know what possessed to come up with an update that represents several steps backwards from 1P7.

• @Sal160

Having the same data stored in multiple vaults is likely the trouble you experienced. The best recommendation is to keep the data in one vault as in it should only live in one place either the Private vault or the shared vault.

Apologies, it seems Jack may have missed the portion of after the duplicates are cleared that you'll want to install 1Password 8 again, after quitting 1Password 7.

• Merckx
    Merckx
    Community Member

I asked this same question and didn't get an answer. Had the same issue. Is 1Password 8 not compatible with a Mac OS using Monterey 12.5? Seems like a waste to just go back to square one.

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2022

@Merckx

If you are in a similar situation, I would recommend looking using the duplicate remover in 1Password 7. The duplicate remover is not part of 1Password 8. It sounds as if you may have completed the migration on more than one device.

If the same data exists in multiple locations it would need to be cleaned up manually. The duplicate remove will only remove 100% true duplicates. If there is even the smallest difference it will not match. Then it is up to the user to decide what should be kept and what should be removed.

ref: IDEA-I-615

• Sal160
    Sal160
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

Hi, I disagree with that. If you have a family account, how do you expect to share information with the rest of the account holders? That was the intent of shared vaults. You create cards and decide to share with someone else within the account.

• Sal160
    Sal160
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

And btw, we didn’t have that problem in 1P7. A card or item would show once even if it was shared.

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2022

@sal160

You may have configured 1Password 7 for Mac to only show vaults relevant to you. We recommend the data appear in a single vault or you end up with data drift (as updates or changes occur) and duplicates. 1Password does not update items across vaults.

If I share my data with someone I place it in a dedicated vault that is shared with them. e.g., Our Netflix login that we share as a family. It resides in my family shared vault. If it did not, and it lived in my Personal vault for example, and I changed the password no one else would see the change. If I were to share a credit card it would be in a specific shared vault.

In 1Password 7 this would have been set in 1Password > Preferences > Vaults - Show in All Vaults

• Sal160
    Sal160
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

@ag_tommy

I think we have crossed wires here. My complaints were about 1P8 for iPhones/ iPads showing duplicates items because of the shared vaults. I am completely aware that the mentioned capability (shared vaults) in 1P7 does NOT shows duplicate items.

• I think we have crossed wires here

Very possible. 😊

1Password 7 for iOS could have also been configured to only show specific vaults and then you would not have noticed duplicates. The best option I can think of to allow you to replicate this sort of experience is collections. Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

If the data exists, it is always best to have a single instance.

• Sal160
    Sal160
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

@ag_tommy

I see what you are saying. That’s right, in 1P7 the user could select to only show Private or whatever.

Then, that opens a related discussion: why the ability to shows what the use of wants to see (Private, Shared or both) was removed? It was on 1P7. Why not in 1P8? Another bad decision not based on any user preferences!

• It is possible to show vaults that you wish displayed via collections. This is how I segment my daily driver vaults from estate planning, and the other family members.

Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

• Paulus
    Paulus
    Community Member

My workaround is to run P7 duplicate tool on another device still not upgraded to 1P8.
    No need to uninstall 1P8 if you can have acces to a second device.
    Open the same vault (all items) you just ruined by installing 1P8 in 1P7 and run P7 duplicate tool.
    This took care of around 60%-70% of the duplicates.
    Th balance.......manual work for a rainy day

• Clement
    Clement
    Community Member

Similar issues to the rest of you with 1P8. Duplicates at random, unclear why.

SOLUTION as noted above - Had to uninstall the new Safari web browser app and 1P8, then reinstall 1P7, use the Help tools menu to remove those duplicates that were exact duplicates. However, many duplicates showed up of earlier versions of a log in, so I had to use the dates last used/modified information to figure out which was the most current/or oldest in order to manually delete the duplicates. A tedious process but easy.

The new Apple OS update to 12.6 and Safari 16.0 also sems to have been the issue. This happened to me on two separate desktops, and I have only one vault set up and visible. Using OS 12.6 and Safari 16 with the latest versions of 1P8, or 1P7 and the two associated web browsers.

Has anyone noticed the next issue?

I could not get the 1P7 version of the Safari browser extension to work (with SAFARI 16) ie the one labelled as "7.9.6 from 1P 7". It would install, the icon showed up for a second, then vanished from the Safari bar despite several resets, log outs of 1P7.

I had to use the 1P8 version of the Safari browser extension for proper integration, this version is labeleld as" 1P for Safari 2.3.7 from 1P for Safari". This seems to be an issue with SAFARI 16, which just came out. Using 1P7 and the IP for Safari extension, provided the prior easy Safari integration, although the duplicate issue remains for those duplicates I have yet to get to.

I have been using 1P since version 2 and it has been pretty much flawless. This one upgrade has ruined the excellent record so far. Hopefully, they will see the issues and release an update soon. 1P is essential if it works as it used to.

Is there a separate issue with compatibility with the latest Apple system updates to 12.6 and Safari 16 as I appear to have?

Thanks.

• briankrock
    briankrock
    Community Member

(I am the original poster for this thread)

I have uninstalled 1P8 and reinstalled 1P7. Under the Help > Tools menu, Clean Up Duplicate Items is displayed but is grayed out, so I cannot actually use the tool. Can you please help me understand why and how to activate it?

Thank you.

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2022

@briankrock

Make sure select the vault on the 1Password 7 sidebar. If you select all vaults it will be greyed out. This may also help. https://1password.community/discussion/133242/after-upgrade-to-8-80-i-went-from-97-logins-to-over-300-how-fix

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member

Is there any plan to port the duplicate scanning tool to 1P8?

• Thanks for following up, @lesster. I don't have any new details to share at the moment, but I do recommend this post from my colleague Ben if you haven't already come across it: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/662923/#Comment_662923

If you're experiencing duplicate items I'm happy to work with you to find the best workaround and hopefully understand what caused them so we can avoid it in the future. Let me know. 🙂

• cinefanatic
    cinefanatic
    Community Member

I'm having to the same issue. Migrated data from 7 to 8 and now almost all my data is duplicate. Some entries created over the last couple of months are not but everything after that is. I know when I first attempted to migrate my data thew installer froze on the pop up window stating it was scanning the data. After 10 minutes I quit the installer, restarted the computer and tried again. This time it completed but now with duplicates.

Please advise!

• @cinefanatic

I'm sorry that you're seeing duplicates after migrating to 1Password 8. I recommend that you email our dedicated migration team at support+forum@1Password.com so that they can take a look and help you get everything sorted out. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

• cinefanatic
    cinefanatic
    Community Member

Thanks Dave. Here's the support ID I received: [#JNE-27537-744]

BTW, looking at your photo, do you ride gravel, mtb, road?

• @cinefanatic

I'm very much an occasional bike rider but when I do go biking it's with a mountain bike and somewhere where I can also go camping. 🙂

Thanks for posting the Support ID, the ticket is with the right team and one of my colleagues will send you an email soon.

-Dave

ref: JNE-27537-744

• cinefanatic
    cinefanatic
    Community Member

Thanks Dave for the help.

Bikepacking is something I've been curious about for a while but I've been too scattered to commit. Getting into more adventure MTB travel! If you have a moment, feel free to check out my site, mtbover40 [dot] com (not sure if it's proper to post other websites here 🤷🏻).

• Thank you for sharing! 😊

-Dave

• Steveo007
    Steveo007
    Community Member

Still hoping for a solution regarding duplicates - is there one coming in an update soon please ? Many thanks

• Hi @Steveo007,

Thanks for following up about this. I'm afraid I don't have any additional updates to share at the moment, but if you're seeing duplicate items in 1Password now, feel free to connect with us via email so we can investigate and suggest appropriate workarounds: support@1Password.com

If you'd like to keep an eye on future updates, you can also check the 1Password Release Notes

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

• lesnla2019
    lesnla2019
    Community Member

Hi-

Same issue, but I didn’t uninstall prior version and have both running on my computer making an even bigger mess. I didn’t want to uninstall the old version bc there were so many dupes in new version (I upgraded to 7 and have ignored it ever since due to this issue!).

1Pass 7 has watchtower which supposedly will remove dupes. I haven’t done it yet because I can’t find the rules under which it operates to identity dupes- does it identify the oldest one and only delete that/those (I have about 5 per login :-/) ?

I haven’t even considered 1Pass 8 given issues with 1Pass 7, but if you have removed even watchtower’s ability to detect dupes I won’t upgrade yet; a very strange choice for an app that creates dupes no?

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023

Thanks for bumping the thread. 🙂

As of the last update, 8.10.18, you can now see a list of your duplicate items in 1Password 8. Choose “Items with duplicates” in your Watchtower dashboard to see or delete all of your duplicates:

Make sure that you're running the latest version to see the feature. As always, please let us know if you find the tool useful and if you have any suggestions for the team. 🙂

-Dave

• soundog
    soundog
    Community Member

Finally!! Thanks. It works.

• @soundog

I'm happy that you're finding the new feature useful. 🙂

-Dave