Access iCloud/system passwords in the 1Password app login.

leehinde
leehinde
Community Member
edited April 2023 in Mac

It would be nice if I could access the icloud/system passwords here.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @leehinde! 👋

Thank you for posting! Can you tell me a little more about your suggestion? Do you mean that you've saved your 1Password account password in iCloud Keychain and would like to fill it from there into the 1Password for Mac app? Or did you mean something else?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• leehinde
    leehinde
    Community Member

Yes, that's exactly it. My 1Password password is in my iCloud Keychain. The screenshot is from the Mac app, but it'd be equally useful in the iOS app.

• @leehinde

In general, I don't recommend that you store your account password in another password manager. Your account password for 1Password should be the one password that you memorize and don't save anywhere else.

If you'd like to be prompted less often for your account password then try these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on Preferences.
    4. Click on Security.
    5. Set "Require password" to the desired length of time.

If you haven't already then I also recommend enabling Touch ID (if your Mac supports it) so that you can unlock 1Password using your fingerprint: Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your Mac

-Dave

• leehinde
    leehinde
    Community Member

My understanding is that (since the Electron switch?) we need to have the same password on every device. A decent password is a pain the a** to type on an iOS device and not much better on a Mac. (That's why I use a password manager.)

I'm trusting that I've protected my devices well enough, or maybe more correctly, my devices are protected well enough for me.

I've got the require password out to two weeks and I've turned on using my watch to authenticate on my Mac. I still get prompts more often than that and as the screen shot shows, I'm not offered the watch option.

It's a huge flow disrupter, again, especially on iOS. In the middle of making a purchase, need to log into PayPal - oops... here we go again.

• @leehinde

Your account password is the main way you unlock 1Password, so we recommend that you choose an account password that is easy enough to enter without too much trouble. The minimum requirement is for 10 characters, and there are no requirements for uppercase, numbers, or symbols. You can, of course, choose a longer account password than this, but that's the minimum requirement (unless you're using 1Password at work and your admin has set a stronger requirement).

In our support article, How to choose a good 1Password account password, we say:

Your account password should be memorable
    A unique and random password will thwart attackers, but it’s important that you don’t thwart yourself. For your privacy and security, no one at 1Password can access your account password or recover your account. That’s why your password should be one you won’t ever forget.

Use a password that you can remember:

• Use spaces or hyphens between words to make your password easier to type.
    • Practice your new password regularly.
    • Write down your password until you’ve committed it to memory.
    • Write your password in your Emergency Kit and keep it somewhere safe.

Your 1Password account password doesn’t have to meet any specific requirements for numbers, symbols, or capital letters. If you’re not comfortable using them, don’t.

As a suggestion, you might find that four or five words meets a good balance here. In fact, at the bottom of that article, we include a link to our online password generator which is set to produce random four-word passwords, separated by hyphens.

For example, a four-word phrase like dollar little lace isolate is a good account password (although not now that it's public!). You could add something between the words as a separator if you wanted, but it doesn't add that much more security.

Remember that your account password is only one part of the story – your Secret Key is used in combination with your account password to encrypt (and decrypt) your data, so the security of your 1Password account doesn't just rely on how strong your account password is.

If you're using 1Password on iOS, you can use Face ID or Touch ID to unlock 1Password:

On a Mac, you might be able to use Touch ID or a paired Apple Watch: (check the system requirements for this)

Those methods will make it easier to unlock 1Password anyway, but I'd still recommend changing your account password to something that's memorable and easy to enter. Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

• leehinde
    leehinde
    Community Member

My memory is that I'm getting prompted more often than the 2 weeks that I've set. These are the times when you get the warning that "1Password needs your password every X weeks". I.e., Watch/Face/Thumb don't work.

So, I logged the requests.

Jan 12, 2023
    Jan 20, 2023
    Jan 26, 2023

That's with a "every two weeks" setting.

It may feel like a different issue, but the issue is I have to go looking for a password more often than I'd like and it's more troublesome than I'd like.

• @leehinde

Thank you for the reply. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• leehinde
    leehinde
    Community Member

Thanks. Sorry for the delay: [#UMF-12328-455]

• @leehinde

Thank you for posting the Support ID. One of my colleagues will review the diagnostics report and send you a reply as soon as possible. To prevent duplication of effort I'm closing this thread. 🙂

-Dave

ref: UMF-12328-455

This discussion has been closed.