iPadOS 16.1 Watchtower crash [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• GeorgiaJ
    GeorgiaJ
    Community Member

Now 1PW crashes immediately when I try to open from the login screen. Instead of Touch ID I intentionally entered an incorrect PW. 1PW recognized it was incorrect so when I entered the correct PW it crashed. Replicated N times. Mac and iPhone are just fine

• tomroper
    tomroper
    Community Member

I recently upgraded to 1Password 8, but on an iPad running IPadOS 16.2 every time I try to open Watchtower it shuts the app and returns me to the Home Screen.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iPadOS 16.2
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2023

This is an issue the team is working to resolve. To regain functionality you can off-load the app and then add it again.

edit: - Clarification: You would not want to use the Watchtower functionality on the iPad until a new release can be issued. If you use the feature you may experience crashing again.

--

Off-loading would leave any data on the device that it created.

1. Open Settings and tap General.
    2. Tap iPhone Storage and give it a while to load.
    3. From the list of apps, tap the app you want to offload.
    4. Tap Offload App and confirm.
    5. Download 1Password 8 again.

--

• Be 100% certain all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your 🚒 Emergency Kit and you know your password before beginning the steps above.
  • Funglin
    Funglin
    Community Member

Thanks for sharing the "off-load" instructions - I will try it if this happens again (hopefully this is fixed soon).

I had the same Watchtower problem as described in this thread, but it worked the next morning without any action on my part. Something timed out, I guess.

• JochenHartmann
    JochenHartmann
    Community Member

Hi @ag_tommy
    Thanks for the explanation. I did it, but no change in the behavior. The app is still crashing right after I open it on the iPad.
    To be honest, this issue is known since October 2022. If 1Password needs longer to fix that, I leave and use another App. No point for dealing with a crashing App.
    Best,
    Jochen

• @JochenHartmann

Did you revisit the Watchtower section? If so, please do not do that until a resolution is present. This is the only known cause that would cause the trouble. Do you experience different results if you delete the app and reinstall it?

I see I did not mention you should no be using the Watchtower functionality until there is a resolution. I'll edit my post. Apologies.

• To clarify this is specific to the iPad and you should be good to use the Watchtower functionality on other installations.
  • JochenHartmann
    JochenHartmann
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_tommy
    Once I try to use the Watchtower, the App is crashing when I just start it.
    This means the App can´t be used anymore!
    So, tell me: Why do I pay for an App that doesn`t work?

• @JochenHartmann

It may be that you're experiencing something else unknown. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your device and email it to us.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Tap your 1Password account icon from the 1Password home screen.
    3. Tap Settings.
    4. Tap Help.
    5. Click Send Diagnostics.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: JochenHartmann
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/672647/#Comment_672647

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• JochenHartmann
    JochenHartmann
    Community Member

The email with diagnostics is out, but no Support ID as a response.

• I appreciate you sending that report in. One of my colleagues will get back to you as soon as possible.

ref: BXQ-31274-927

• bhbeck
    bhbeck
    Community Member

I’m still having trouble accessing Watch Tower on my iPad and was wondering if there is any eta on a resolution. Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:id #18214

• Hi there @bhbeck

The fix for that issue will be included in the next update to 1Password for iOS. I don't have a solid release date for that at the moment, but you can keep an eye on the App Store listing for 1Password 8, or the 1Password Releases blog:

1Password for iOS Releases

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• bhbeck
    bhbeck
    Community Member

Thanks Grey. I’ll watch for the update. I did discover that it seems to work ok on my iPhone and Mac.

• @bhbeck

Indeed the issue is specific to the iPad and you should be able to use the feature on the Mac and the iPhone. Have a great weekend.

• Tony Wright
    Tony Wright
    Community Member

1P has been so reliable for last decade(s) that I foolishly didn’t check this community when I updated my iPad Pro(4th gen) to 16.2 in Dec.
    I naively assumed that retaining “backup’s” “emergency keys” and “recovery id’s” over last several decades would allow me to upgrade from 1P7.10 to 1P8 without totally crashing my Home Screen.
    Now I can’t find how to backup Or obtain Emergency codes in either 1P71 OR 1P8. !! None of existing sec codes work. While I can currently still access both 1P versions thru user+password I’m left in a dangerous position. Sending Diagnostics on either version has not prompted a Support ID or acknowledgement to date.

• foucdan
    foucdan
    Community Member

This bug still there. Not very please with 1Password

• @Tony Wright

Have you received an email from the team yet? If you haven't then please send a new email to support+forum@1Password.com which will trigger an auto-reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant, with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place.

@foucdan

We haven't yet released a new update for 1Password on the iPad that includes the fix. Have you tried the workaround that my colleague Tommy posted here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/672364/#Comment_672364

-Dave

• foucdan
    foucdan
    Community Member

Issue since November !!!!!! It’s time to look at another apps working better. Stop paying for an apps not working properly

• Tony Wright
    Tony Wright
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

@Dave_1P Sorry Dave but I only got a reply from 1Password Business ID with NO support number but a list of 20 or so links instead?

Access to this community is also now being restricted by IOS 16.3 UPDATE which I’m trying to pause…. AND each time I login I have to reset my password
    EDIT; IOS UPDATE PAUSED and diagnostics sent to support+forum@1password.com but no response yet. 1P8 just crashed -so will checkout workarounds (Tommy?)

Tony

• @Tony Wright

I've located your email and one of my colleagues will send you a reply as soon as possible.

-Dave

ref: KNY-21888-133
    ref: Zendek-102019

• nkow
    nkow
    Community Member

Sadly, the crashing is still an issue. iPad Pro M2 and when accessing watchtower. iPadOS 16.3 and latest version of 1Password

• @nkow

Yes, the fix for this will be included in the next update to 1Password for iOS. While we'd always advise customers to keep their devices' OS up to date, it'll be an update to 1Password itself which fixes this.

• JulianMuir
    JulianMuir
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

I got this same crash today after trying to look at WatchTower on iPad OS 16.2

It seems that if I use then the WatchTower feature in the iPad app then it crashes. If I restart and never use WatchTower then it seems to work though the initial login is flakey and I have to access the app through the App Switcher (running apps) and re-enter the password/fingerprint.

I just opened a 1Password account today as I need to transfer from another password app that has had too many breaches. So I have the latest 1Password 8 app downloaded to my iPad today. Currently this is not a good look and I may have to consider another password manager if the app is not viable on iPad (which would be a pity as I like the extra security of the secret key).

FYI updated to IOS 16.3 – and the issue remains.

Kind Regards
    Julian Muir

• JulianMuir
    JulianMuir
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Sorry duplicated original comment when trying to update by hitting browser back button 😱

If a moderator can delete this one as I do not seem to have that option – otherwise I guess it will just remain as a testament to my incompetence 😊

• JulianMuir
    JulianMuir
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

I got this same crash today after trying to look at WatchTower on iPad OS 16.2
    FYI update to IOS 16.3 and issue remains

It seems that if I use then the WatchTower feature in the iPad app then it crashes. If I restart and never use WatchTower then it seems to work though the initial login is flakey and I have to access the app through App Switcher (running apps) and re-enter the password/fingerprint.

I just opened a 1Password account today as I need to transfer from another password app that has had too many breaches. So I have the latest 1Password 8 app downloaded to my iPad today.

So it seems the fix will be released soon (in version 8.9.8 I expect) https://releases.1password.com/ios/8.9/#whats-new

Kind Regards
    Julian Muir

• millertime
    millertime
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

It's just ridiculous that since now almost "3" months of an upcoming fix is spoken of but there is no time frame when this will be released. In the meantime, I regret having chosen 1Password for the family because the app looks "nicer" than the open source alternative.

If there are technical problems with the provision of a new release for 3 months, the internal development team must be in chaos or the technical basis must be so bad that Apple prevents a release.

• millertime
    millertime
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

@WorldIRC That's not an answer after 3 months for a company that works with the most sensitive data that its customers can give to an external company. If we couldn't roll out bug fixes at my workplace for 3 months, I can't even imagine the impact. People here have been talking non-stop about LastPass' problems, but I'm starting to wonder what the internal situation is like at 1password when they're not even able to name the problem properly and give a timeframe.

This discussion has been closed.