Mastodon presence?

XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Lounge

Looks like Twitter killed the third-party API (at least for the most popular clients) last week.

Is 1Password also present on Mastodon? If not, can you please consider that?

(even if you just start crossposting first)

Comments

• Hello @XIII! 👋

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll pass it along to the team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-30121297

• majortom
    majortom
    Community Member

👍

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member

People are even starting to respond to bots replicating the 1Password Twitter account 😁

• @Arnoud

Your link just redirects to Twitter for me. 🙂

-Dave

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member

@Dave_1P Hah, indeed it does. Not sure how to stop it from automatically redirecting from bird.makeup to twitter.com, so a screenshot then:

• @Arnoud

Ah, thank you for the screenshot. I'm not very familiar with Mastodon personally (yet) but it looks like this is a bot that mirrors our Twitter account. We've flagged this to the social team who will take a look. The bot isn't run by 1Password.

At the moment, I know that there are a few of my colleagues already on Mastodon and you might run into them. 😊

-Dave

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Yes, indeed - bird.makeup is a service for people switching from Twitter to Mastodon (there are multiple services that do this). It makes it possible to view tweets from accounts that have not yet created a Mastodon account, so it's not necessary to check two different apps/services.

However, it only syncs the original tweets, not the responses/threads. So as you can see in this example, some people do not understand this and start to interact with the bot, thinking 1Password will see their response.

FYI - I don't know which tool 1Password uses for social media management, but as an example, Buffer is beta testing Mastodon integration (supposed to release soon), which would allow your team to cross-post and monitor the engagement.

I'm hoping 1Password will create their own instance in the end, with every 1Password employee having the option to use it. It would increase trust by making it easy to see whether someone is really who they say they are (e.g. you posting as @dave@m.1password.com).

• Thanks, @Arnoud! I've shared that feedback with our social team leadership for consideration. 😃

Ben

• @Arnoud @majortom @XIII

It's official https://1password.social/@1password We're working on getting the presence verified.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Excellent! Following... (almost 2,000 people seem to do as well?!)

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member

Sweet! Nice work, glad you made this move. It fits you!

• 🙌

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.