Watch icon when unlocking 1P

efc
efc
Community Member

Why do I have to tap on the watch icon in the 1Password password field when starting up 1P on the Mac? If watch authentication is enabled, this extra click is annoying (and I don't think it was required until recently). I would much rather that the watch auth dialog automatically appear so that all I have to do is double-tap the watch button.

If this was a recent change, perhaps 1P could consider making the automatic triggering of the dialog an option in the security settings?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• @efc

This behavior should be automatic. Has the Mac slept and then you've awakened it? If so, place the cursor in the password field and press return this should prompt you. Also, are you using Ventura? We have an open tracker for Apple Watch unlock and the OS where folks occasionally see the watch unavailable.

• efc
    efc
    Community Member

Yes, using Ventura 13.2, but the watch is "available," just not being used automatically.

Yes, clicking the field to drop the cursor there and hitting return also works, but this is even more steps than clicking the watch icon.

This is really only an issue when first launching 1P, since launching 1P implies I want to use it "right now" and so it should (and used to) try to authenticate immediately. After sleep, I think it is appropriate for 1P to wait for me to express an intention of unlocking (either by hitting return in the password field or by clicking on the watch). Since the cursor is already focused and flashing in the password field when I launch 1P, just hitting return does bring up the watch authentication. I just wish I didn't have to hit return in this scenario.

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member

I see the same behavior with Touch ID on my M1 Mac mini running macOS 13.2. Where 1P used to prompt for Touch ID authentication right when reaching the 1P lock screen of the app, it now requires that I click the icon to activate the biometrics (both Touch ID and my Apple Watch are then able to unlock 1P). This feels like a bug introduced in the latest update to 1P. So either this is some sort of issue with all biometric unlocks on 1P in macOS, or it is an issue stemming from the Apple Watch but that then also brings down Touch ID to the same click-to-activate requirement if Apple Watch is also set up.

• @efc and @alexclst

When I open the 1Password for Mac app after it has locked I see the prompt to authenticate using Touch ID right away and I get the double-tap on my Apple Watch. Can you tell me a little more about when you're not seeing the Touch ID prompt or feeling the Apple Watch taps:

1. Are you invoking 1Password from the browser? From the menubar? Or from the Dock?
    2. Is the 1Password app already open in the dock or is it closed?
    3. Has your Mac been sleeping or has your display been locked before the issue happens?
    4. Are you both running 1Password version 8.9.15: How to keep 1Password up to date

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• efc
    efc
    Community Member

@Dave_1P, I reported this problem before v8.9.15 arrived at my machine. The new version just showed up today, I've upgraded to v8.9.15 and 1P is now behaving as I expect. So maybe this was fixed in the new release? In any case, no longer a problem.

• @efc

I'm happy to hear that updating 1Password has resolved the issue on your Mac. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.