Reporting biometric auth nearly every use

jkane001
jkane001
Community Member

I have the security settings set to enable fingerprint lock, to never require password, and to auto-lock after 8 hours. And yet, nearly every time I go to a site or an app that needs a password, after I select the site from the gboard suggestions, 1Password requires I auth with my fingerprint. If I do 2 in rapid succession, it usually doesn't require it on the second use, but within a few minutes, it's back to asking.

1Password Version: 8.9.12
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 13
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hi @jkane001, thanks for writing in and letting us know about this issue.

Behavior like this is typically caused by inadvertently locking the app, battery optimization or a few other device factors locking 1Password silently in the background.

Do you typically unlock 1Password for Android directly or primarily through Autofill prompts? Do you typically keep multiple apps open in the background?

Thanks again!

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member

I typically unlock through autofill prompts.

I don't specifically run apps in the background, but I also don't force close apps, and I am a pretty prolific user of apps, so there probably are a bunch open in the background at any given time. I did have a pixel 6 pro (just switched it out for a 7 pro), so I don't tend to think of resources as particularly stretched.

Side note - in setting up my new device, I noticed that there's a number of apps that don't cause the prompt in any way in Gboard, and almost every time, selecting "autofill" in the context menu didn't really in anything happening. Sometimes I'd get a toast telling me it couldn't autofill, but mostly just nothing happened at all.

Examples: Starbucks & Zaxby's. Also apps that have login ID on one screen and password on the next seemed universally bad WRT autofill.

• Thanks for following up with me @jkane001, my apologies for the delay in reply.

I'd like to ask you to set battery optimization (device settings > Apps > 1Password > Battery) to unrestricted for 1Password then check for a difference in locking behavior.

I did some testing with the Starbucks and Zaxby's app and found they were both more responsive with prompts below fields. You can change that setting with these steps:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    2. Tap the account or collection icon.
    3. Tap Settings > Autofill.
    4. Tap Display Autofill prompts > Below the fields they relate to.

Let me know if you see an improvement with that change.

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member

I will try both of the things you suggest. Does the second thing imply that gboard is the problem?

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member

Reporting back on the need to re-auth on each use - dialing battery optimization does not charge the behavior. Still seems to need auth on almost every use. That wouldn't be as big a problem if the Pixel's in-screen fingerprint reader was better, but it fails almost every time

• Brrry
    Brrry
    Community Member

I'm using pixel 7 pro with Auto-Lock on Exit Set to 8 hours. It Behaves as intended.
    Minimize 1password (don't close). Tried autofill to apps and website without asking for Biometric.

• Hi @jkane001, thanks for following up with me.

In regards to setting prompts below fields, yes it appears that some on-screen keyboards (including Gboard) give priority to the number strip in some scenarios. We're looking into solutions from our end but setting prompts below fields helps to bypass the keyboard for the time being.

For the repeated unlock requests, is there any change in behavior if you unlock the app directly rather than through an Autofill prompt?

Thanks for sharing your results @Brrry! I'm glad to hear Auto-Lock is working as expected on your Pixel.

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member

So I wonder, if I disable the number strip in Gboard, will that change how well 1Pass works with it.

As for the second question, I can experiment and let you know.

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member

Unlocked 1Password Android app manually @ 3pm. Settings are: Auto-Lock on Exit after 8 hours.

2 hours later, opened 1Password app, and was required to auth again.

• Hi @jkane001, a fix for the keyboard issue I mentioned has been included with the recent beta and should be included in upcoming production releases as well.

In regards to the 1Password locking before the set period, do you recall if you unlocked 1Password through an Autofill prompt or by opening the app?

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member

Thanks - I have that beta, but unfortunately, all I get on websites now is "open 1Password," and no actual suggestions (with it set to use the keyboard suggestion bar).

For the auth requests, it's any way i log in first, within an hour or so, it's making me login again

• @jkane001, if you're just seeing the "Open 1Password" prompt, you may need to reset Autofill suggestions. You can do so by tapping Show filling suggestions off then on from Settings > Autofill.

We previously looked at battery optimization for 1Password specifically, do you use the "Battery Saver" option from device settings > Battery or "Data saver" under Network and Internet?

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member

Will try that.

I don't use either "saver" option on my device (other than at 15% battery, but that's rare I hit that threshold)

• Thanks for confirming that @jkane001. We've heard a handful of reports with similar locking behavior but have not been able to consistently reproduce this. I've gone ahead and updated the issue with the notes here as we continue to track and investigate. If you'd like to send in a diagnostics report, it may include some helpful information. You can wait for an unexpected lock then create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/136326/reporting-biometric-auth-nearly-every-use
    • Your forum username: jkane001

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks very much!

• jkane001
    jkane001
    Community Member

Sure - but how do I generate the diagnostic report?

• Hi @jkane001, you can find the guide linked in my post above or follow these steps to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    2. Tap the account or collection icon.
    3. Tap Settings > Help > “Send diagnostics”.
    4. Add a link to this thread and your username before sending the message.

Let me know if you run into any issues there!

This discussion has been closed.