How use Verimark U2F fingerprint reader to login to 1Password

Options

I set up the Microsoft Authenticator and 2FA in 1Password. Then I set up a Kensington Verimark fingerprint reader. However, 1Password did not enable me to use the Verimark reader to log onto 1Password. Verimark DOES allow me to use my fingerprint to access my desktop computer. I pulled up the Kensington Verimark Setup Guide that walks you through the process of setting up the Verimark and 1Password to sign into 1Password. However, since it is not working I went into 1Password and disabled the Verimark key, but got this 1Password error message, "the security key you're using is already registered with your account". Should I disable all 2FA in 1Password and try again? I don't know the consequence of disabling 2FA in 1Password.
(I could NOT find version in Settings on desktop, used iPhone version.)

1Password Version: 8.9.7
Extension Version: 2.5.2
OS Version: Win10 w/Optional driver
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:Verimark fingerprint

Comments

• HMHall
    HMHall
    Community Member
    Options

I went ahead and turned off 2FA and deleted all devices and started over with 2FA by loading Microsoft Auth. and then the Verimark. Did this twice. These two times, the only difference was that the process did NOT produce an error message, but instead stated, "Your security key was successfully registered". However, the Verimark still doesn't allow me to log into 1Password using my fingerprint!!
    Help, I have run out of things to try!

• HMHall
    HMHall
    Community Member
    Options

With help, I finally realized I do NOT need 2FA to make the Verimark fingerprint reader to work.
    So I turned 2FA off.
    Then with 1Password HELP, I came to realize that to use Windows HELP, I needed to load the DESKTOP APPLICATION, which when setting up 1Password the first time, I had deleted because I though the WINDOWS APP had everything I needed.
    I reloaded the DESKTOP APP and now the fingerprint reader works to log onto the DESKTOP APP, but NOT the WINDOWS10 APP.

Any suggestions on getting the WINDOWS APP LogOn to work with the Veritas would certainly be appreciated!!

• HMHall
    HMHall
    Community Member
    Options

Just got a reply back from Customer Support @ 1Password... which was VERY helpful and clarified how the apps work.

Here is my reply...

Hi Chris,
    Thank you for the clarification.

The Window Desktop app runs in MS Windows (not in a browser) and CAN BE accessed through Hello. The Windows Desktop app is optional, not required to use 1Password on the web.
    The Web interface started from https://start.1password.com/signin/ CANNOT be accessed through Hello.
    However, the browser EXTENSION CAN BE accessed through Hello.
    And... if I log into the Windows Desktop App, I am also logged onto the browser extension and conversely if I log into the browser extension, I am also logged onto the Windows Desktop App, but neither of these log me into the Web Interface.

I am SO GLAD you folks understand this, because I wasn't able to figure these things out without your and other's help!!!

I might suggest adding some clarifying statements like these to your otherwise great online documentation... for old folks like me that knew life BEFORE desktop computers and MS Windows!!

If I missed this somewhere, please point me in the right direction.... just in case I forget.

Great software! Great job! I am so glad you are here so I could get off of LastPass!!

Best, best regards to you and the whole company,
    Hugh

• Hi @HMHall,

Thank you so much for sharing this, firstly, I must apologise that nobody got back to your sooner. I'm glad the team were able to clear things up for you.

Could you possibly share the Support ID with me so I can look over the conversation and see how we could improve our documentation?

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• HMHall
    HMHall
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph,
    I think this is what you are requesting… #XQY-55176-217.
    If not, please clarify “Support ID”.
    Thanks for looking at the documentation. I came to 1Password from Lastpass, which was in one location in Windows . So in 1Password, I really got confused about the Windows app vs. the Desktop app vs. the Chrome Extension. It took several conversions with my very technical son to understand that in 1Password they were 3 separate “apps” with different features and different ways to access and then I learned that Hello only works with 2 of them. I was also confusing 2FA with how to use Hello.
    There are probably a lot of old folks like me who want to also get off of Lastpass that could benefit from more high level clarification about your 3 ways to access 1Password.
    Great app!
    Best regards,
    Hugh

• @HMHall,

Thank you for getting back to me with this information.

Our getting started guide covers the apps in a little more detail but I understand where you are coming from in that it might be useful to describe the difference between the separate places you can use 1Password.

I'm glad your son was able to help clarify things for you, I hope things are smooth sailing from here on.

We appreciate your feedback!

This discussion has been closed.