Question about changing passwords

OneMrEd
OneMrEd
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Why when I use the option "change password on website" does the new password go into a new field called new password. Then I end up with the same password in two fields on the record. The first field says password and the second field says new password. They are actually both the same so why did they get stored in two separate fields?

1Password Version: 8.9.12
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:change password new password

Comments

• Hey @OneMrEd,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Can you provide me with an example of a website where you are seeing this behaviour so I can do some testing and best advise?

Thank you!

• OneMrEd
    OneMrEd
    Community Member

@steph.giles americanexpress.com

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@OneMrEd it doesn't look like I'm able to get to the password change form on that website. However, 1Password should be able to recognize the different fields on change password forms and save/fill those fields accordingly.

If there's a current password field, then 1Password should fill that with your existing password. If there's a new password field, then 1Password should suggest and fill a new password in it. If there's a confirmation password field, then 1Password should fill the new password there as well.

Is that not happening for you on the change password form at americanexpress.com? Can you tell us what steps you're taking and what is unexpectedly happening? Can you also share a screenshot of the form so that we can see the fields?

If you share a screenshot, make sure there's no sensitive or private info included. You can attach the screenshot to your reply directly.

• OneMrEd
    OneMrEd
    Community Member

@Joy_1P everything works okay it's just after I changed the password on American Express.com I end up with the password in three separate fields. It's all the same password I was just wondering why you chose to put them in separate fields. See the attached screenshot

• Hey @OneMrEd,

Sorry for the delay.

1Password automatically detects information you enter in other fields on a website when you save a login, and it can fill those additional fields when you sign in to a website which in most cases is helpful.

It seems on this site it has tried to capture all of the new password page fields. You can try removing these additional fields from the item and leave the password just within the password field as it shouldn't affect the filling capabilities.

I hope this helps!

• OneMrEd
    OneMrEd
    Community Member

• OneMrEd
    OneMrEd
    Community Member

@steph.giles thank you

• On behalf of Steph, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.