Feature Request: Use Regular Expressions to search passwords

Options
cfbenbow
cfbenbow
Community Member

I'm dealing with some password breaches that were found by McAfee. They will allow me to view the email and password from the breach, but they only give the first two and last two characters of the compromised password (sensibly enough). That makes it really tough to search through my vault to find which password was compromised. As much as I hate dealing with RegEx, it would be nice if the search bar allowed an advanced search mode that supported something like RegEx so I can make a more thorough search through my vault for the offending items.

1Password Version: 8.9.12
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Chrome 108.0.5359.126
Referrer: forum-search:regex

Comments

• Hi @cfbenbow, thanks for reaching out about this! I can definitely understand how this type of advanced search mode would be helpful for situations like this. We've heard similar feedback from other users too, and I've passed your feedback along to our Product team for further consideration.

In the meantime, is the Watchtower feature able to identify these compromised passwords for you?

• pmelvin
    pmelvin
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to +1 this, as I ran into the exact same issue only with a report put out by Credit Karma. It would be great if the search feature was a bit more advanced (or have the option to do so). The ability to select a specific field to search against as well as regular expression.

• Hi @pmelvin, thanks for letting us know that you'd like to see this as well 😄 I've passed your suggestions along to our Product team.

If you have any further feedback or questions, let us know.

ref: 30417909

• cfbenbow
    cfbenbow
    Community Member
    Options

@1P_Gem, no, Watchtower did not identify these passwords, McAfee did. I was eventually able to scrub through them all and identify most with the help of 1P. I came over from LP, so I am going to have to scrub all of my passwords anyway.

• Hello @cfbenbow,

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know these passwords were identified through McAfee. I'm happy to hear that with the help of 1Password, you were able to clean those up.

While you continue to work your through other passwords, you can follow these guides to:

In the meantime, I have passed your details along to the Product team. If you have any other specific details to share about we could improve the search functionality, please let us know!

ref: 30595144

• mauriciomoura
    mauriciomoura
    Community Member
    Options

I want to express my support for this feature as well. Or a better search in general. I was looking for entries in my vault that contained my email followed by a space because I was getting "doubled suggestions" for this email when filling fields and wanted to fix it. A regexp search would have helped a lot. Or a strict search using a string between ".

• Hello @mauriciomoura,

Thanks for your feedback - I've included these details for the Product team. Please let us know if you have any other suggestions.

ref: 31274572

• nanu68
    nanu68
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

same here. No warnings from Watchtower, but got a warning elsewhere with first and last digit of an compromised password. It would be nice to find out which account this is for.

P.S.: By the way, the only warning in Watchtower I get for compromised Websites is for discussions.agilebits.com ....

• 1P_Gem
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi @nanu68, thanks for reaching out! I've filed your feedback with our Product team as well.

I understand that you're seeing a compromised website warning for discussions.agilebits.com. Is there any chance that this is an older item? If so, I would recommend taking a look at this forum post.

If you have any further questions or suggestions, let us know! 😄

ref: 32421261

• Factchecker
    Factchecker
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 here. This time I was alerted to the breach by Norton. Same alert type: they tell me email address and part of the character string from the password that was exposed. It would be great to be able to search passwords to identify where that string of (case sensitive) characters occurs. It looks like one of my 1P generated passwords so I have no idea which account it's associated with.

• Hey @Factchecker! Thanks for your feedback, I've gone ahead and passed this on our Product team as well.

This discussion has been closed.