Open and fill data not working

Options
CanUK
CanUK
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I got a message to update 1Password and I did. However, after I updated 1Password the Open and Fill Data function is not working. When I select a desired item and select the function Open and Fill data, nothing happens. I have to copy and paste the username and password whereas before the update it would happen automatically once I selected the desired item. Also, I can;t see the 1Password version - the 1Password does not appear near the apple icon in the top left.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.1 (22C65)
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:not filling in user name and password

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CanUK, sorry to hear about the troubles. Let's check on the version of 1Password app that you're using. If you're using a Mac, please do the following:

1. Open the 1Password app.
    2. Look for 1Password at the top left and click on it.
    3. Click on About 1Password.

You should see something like this: https://share.cleanshot.com/YNYTfPS8

Here are some questions:

• What version of the app are you using?
    • When you click to open and fill a login from the app, does your browser open at all?
    • What browser do typically use with 1Password?
    • Do you see the 1Password extension icon in that browser's toolbar?
    • Are you able to go to your websites directly and use the inline menu to fill your logins?

Please let us know!

• CanUK
    CanUK
    Community Member
    Options

1Password for Mac 8.9.13 (80913040)
    Safari or Chrome

It seems to be working now.

I would access 1Password either by the icon on the menu bar or via the icon on the browser extension (Safari or Chrome).

However, the 1Password icon on the menu bar - seems to be working differently now. Before the update, when I click on the icon on the menu bar (ie. not through the browser extension), 1Password would open up automatically to allow me to choose which site/password I wanted. Now, if I click or even double click on that icon it does not open up 1Password but instead provides a drop down menu showing the following options:

Open 1Password
    Open Quick Access
    Lock
    Settings
    Quit

This did not happen before.

Also, when I updated the 1Password on my Mac (and I believe I reinstalled the browser extension), there was a message completing the process by going to security & privacy and allowing 1Password. I'm trying to find that in privacy & security under system settings as I'm not sure if I did it properly. There was something about a warning about using 1Password but again I can't find that warning.

• @CanUK

It sounds like you were previously using 1Password 7 and you've moved to 1Password 8. The difference in the menu bar action is the leading tell. I would recommend looking into using Quick Access It's how the menu bar item has been reimagined in 1Password 8.

• @CanUK

There are a couple of possibilities in Privacy and Security.

1. Files and Folders - Allow access to the Downloads folder. This would be needed to generate a diagnostics report on your behalf.
    2. Accessibility - Quick Access/Universal Autofill - filling items on your behalf.
    3. Screen Recording - Scanning QR codes on your behalf. Two-factor authentications codes.
  • CanUK
    CanUK
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you ag_Tommy.
    To clarify, opening the 1Password icon in the menu bar (and not through the browser) does not open the 1Password like it did before I guess in 1Password version 7).

Also, with respect to the security & privacy, I believe this happened when I reinstalled the extension for the browser. I believe I had to click 1Password - I'm trying to find that screen again and when I did it I believe there was a warning message.

• No, it does not.

You would have seen something like this with 1Password 7.

1Password 8.

• @Canuk

I can't place that prompt with the extension. I am on the first cup of coffee. ;) Please do let me know what you find.

• CanUK
    CanUK
    Community Member
    Options

Can't seem to find it. When you install it on your browser, there is a notification that something needs to be adjusted on security & privacy to allow it to work properly. It is on that screen that there is a warning message. I'm referring to the warning message that gave me concerns (or maybe I shouldn't be concerned).

• Hey @CanUK,

It sounds like you are referring to 1Password for Safari's requirement to have access to all websites in order to be able to fill. Here are the steps to enable this setting:

1. Open Safari
    2. in the top left hand corner choose Safari > Settings (or Safari > Preferences).
    3. Click on the Extensions tab and choose 1Password for Safari in the sidebar
    4. Click 'Always allow on every website'

Let us know how you get on!

• CanUK
    CanUK
    Community Member
    Options

Steph,

Thank you. I attach the screenshot of the warning. My question - I should not be concerned about this warning?

• @CanUK, I appreciate your concerns.

Our requirement to “allow access to all sites” achieves two things:

• The ability to scan (read) the page HTML to determine if it’s fillable. This also tells us where/when to inject the inline menu.
    • The ability to autofill (write) to the site. While performing an autofill, it effectively changes the HTML. When you submit the autofill, it will allow you to authenticate it properly.

If you still have any concerns, I recommend going through this explanation of our security and privacy: About 1Password browser permissions.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

This discussion has been closed.