After moving data into 1Password how to easily double check that all data has been transferred?

Options

I moved all data from my old password manager into 1Password and it looks good, but I have a lot of entries. How can I know that all the data transferred correctly? Do I need to check it entry by entry? Or keep my old password manager around for a while? / or an encrypted copy of my csv file around? Or ? Any best practices?

Thanks

• Amanda

1Password Version: Mac 8.9.13
Extension Version: 2.6.0 Safari
OS Version: OS 13.2
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@9AmberMoog

What was the previous password manager?

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    Options

The previous password manager was LastPass

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2023
    Options

@9AmberMoog ,

Ok, good to know. That helps tailor the advice.

1Password's LastPass importer is in a state of flux, but should be pretty robust. Version 8.9.14 is available to handle attachments (I don't seem to have that ability in the 8.10.0 beta version). Given that, I think this would be the best method to use for importing your LastPass data (if it works for you - it failed for me in my free account, which has many very old records and has UTF8 characters which are not yet handled). See also:

https://releases.1password.com/mac/8.9/

You can start by comparing the record counts in both systems to get an idea if all the records were transferred, but there may be some discrepancies, and it's worth determining where these occur. MikeT also highlights the possible issues in the thread.

It would be worthwhile to review a few sample records in the various categories, so that you can 1) become familiar with the mapping that occurred, and 2) verify the data. If you get a successful import, I would be less worried about using the native 1Password (or 1Password.com) importer than a LastPass CSV export.

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MrC. I'll check out the resources and tips you gave me - very much appreciate your suggestions!

• Thank you for your suggestions here @MrC.

@9AmberMoog are you all set now?

Let us know if there is anything we can help with at all!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@9AmberMoog

The nightly 1Password 8 release is making progress. It handled Unicode characters and attachments. See my comments.

If you are not comfortable running the nightly software, you might wait for the next Beta or Stable release.

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, thank you @MrC for you comments! By the time I'd read your comment I had already imported my vault. However I did update to vs. 8.9.14 - I hadn't realized there was an update at that point. I compared my record counts as you suggested and they were off by two records - one I believe I created after moving over to 1Password. I have decided it is worth my time to be sure I have all records and data. So far so good, this does take some time though, a benefit though is that it is getting me more use to 1P. Also thank. you for sharing around the nightly 1Password 8 release - this was new to me.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Sounds good @9AmberMoog

Enjoy 1Password!

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MrC ! and @steph.giles - I appreciate your follow-up, all is well at the moment!

• You're welcome @9AmberMoog, let us know if we can further assist.

This discussion has been closed.