Which Android devices will work with Biometric Facial Recognition?

Options
tcsmith11
tcsmith11
Community Member

TLDR: Family member has no fingerprints recognizable by any fingerprint scanner (optical, ultrasonic or capacitive) and must use PIN or Face Recognition to unlock apps.

**What Android devices do you have working with 1Password and Facial Recognition?

Have you seen any phone models advertised that include the Android Class 3 biometric implementation?**

In the course of adding multiple family members to 1Password, most of us use fingerprint to unlock phones but one literally does not have fingerprints that any fingerprint sensor can pick up. The only option they have is to use Facial Recognition. I cannot find a device in my care that works with 1Password's Biometric Facial Recognition. We have tried on Multiple Galaxy cell phones including a Galaxy 10+ with Android 11, Galaxy Tabs (both on Android 11), and a couple others.

According to this 1Password Support Article, "Unlocking 1Password with your face or eyes requires facial recognition or an iris scanner and Android 10 or later." All the devices I have tried have both facial recognition and Android 10 or later and still don't work.

Later in the article it mentions needing "Class 3 biometric implementation" but searching for that online yields little to no information about actual cell phone models that support this "Class 3" implementation.

I appreciate the security but this was a real unexpected and unfortunate curve-ball to find out that 1Password does not support a PIN for unlocking. Typing a secure password into the phone just isn't an option for most users, especially our older generation who thinks security is a pain to deal with and wants to revert to password123 as their password. (1Password, are you listening?? Please, please, please, implement an unlock PIN)...

Our family member without fingerprints must have something, so I am prepared to purchase a new phone for this purpose. What current android devices work with Facial Recognition? Even the Pixel 7/Pro don't have it. I need to buy a solution or they will literally use a weak password. TIA!

1Password Version: 8.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tcsmith11, thanks for your question and for sharing this feedback. I'm very sorry for the trouble this has caused and can definitely understand why additional unlock options would be helpful, particularly for the use case you shared. I have passed your comments along to the team.

The Pixel 4 and 4XL are the only devices I am aware of that include Class 3 implementation for Face unlock. This has not been carried along in the newer Pixels and, to my knowledge, has never appeared in Samsung devices. Hopefully it's something we'll see more of in the future.

We've received some excellent feedback about the need for PIN unlock or other quick unlock options with the 1Password mobile apps. I cannot make any promises about the development of 1Password, but this is something we take seriously and we are looking at a few different options as to how this would be implemented in the current generation of 1Password mobile apps.

If you have any questions or there's anything I can help with at this time, please let me know.

• Brrry
    Brrry
    Community Member
    Options

What about pattern lock?

• @Brrry

We're looking at a number of different options right now, although there isn't anything to share on that front just now.

Your account password is the main way you should expect to unlock 1Password, so you may want to change it to something easier to enter, if necessary:

How to change your 1Password account password

I would also suggest taking a look at our article, How to choose a good 1Password account password, for suggestions. We'd usually suggest four or five random words, generated by 1Password's secure password generator.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.