Are betas/nightly updates consistent?

Options

The platforms I used with 1Password are Windows, Chrome/Firefox (Windows), iOS and Android

If I want to participate in beta/nightly testing, would you recommend doing so on all the platforms I use or can I pick and choose? I wouldn't want to be in a position where vault updates made using a bleeding edge 1P client are unavailable on a "stable channel" client on another platform or, worse, cause data corruption.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• @shhh

Betas are typically once a week and nightlies are very often one or more a day. You can always change to the production channel as needed or wished.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    Options

Right, so I can use a beta or nightly on one platform and Production on another platform with no compatibility or corruption issues as I mentioned above?

• @shhh

Yes, you can use a mixture of Production, Beta, and Nightly – they all use your 1Password data in the same way.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    Options

I realize I get access to the latest UI features but are there any risks to using beta/nightly builds as far as my data & syncing is concerned?

I use beta/nightly builds for other software tools but given the critical nature of 1Password, I want to make sure I understand the risks. Thanks for your patience :-)

• @shhh

Yes, the database is the same in all three channels, so there's no risk to your data.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, thanks!

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@shhh I use the Windows desktop nightly on one PC, starting with the early access where the v8 client was first publicly available about 2 years ago, and there was never any issue with my data. The app was always rock solid, never (sic!) crashed. In between, I reverted back to the v7 client but upgraded again some months later, and everything was always fine. The only issues that ever popped up with the nightly was sometimes some minor functionality stops working or changed somewhat, then was fixed some nightlies later. Nothing that prevented me from using the app. There was never any invalid field or item change, no item corrupted or vanished or something like this.

If your world doesn't stop moving if (for example) the item list stops scrolling for a week or if some debug context menu appears, then disappears again after a week, there is nothing that should prevent you from using this beta or nightly.

If you use 1Password for business use, this might be seen differently, but for home use with a not so strict security policy, it's completely fine.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    Options

@Tertius3 Good to know, thanks! Where can I find a comprehensive changelog that describes the fixes & enhancements made in each beta/nightly build?

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Where can I get a iOS TestFlight link to sign up for the beta? The link on this page says This beta is full

• @shhh

The iOS beta is indeed full at this time. You would need to keep checking periodically as our open spots tend to go very quick.

Beta changes are published here 1Password Releases Nightlies are not published at this time.

This discussion has been closed.