secret key

Options
1passquest
1passquest
Community Member

not sure how travel mode protects someone, if someone had enough info to access 1 password on your computer to get the vault, cant they also just get it from the just turning off travel mode?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• 1passquest
    1passquest
    Community Member
    Options

sorry this should be titled travel vault, not secret key

• Hi there @1passquest

Travel Mode is designed to help protect customers' data when they, for example, cross borders and might have their devices searched. A border agent might compel you to unlock 1Password for them to examine, or deny you entry if you don't.

You can only turn Travel Mode on and off through My Profile on 1Password.com. There is no indication in any of the 1Password apps that Travel Mode is turned on, and it can't be turned off from there. It's designed to hide certain vaults, that you mark as Unsafe For Travel, with plausible deniability, because 1Password will look exactly the same on your phone, tablet, or computer, whether Travel Mode is turned on or off.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• 1passquest
    1passquest
    Community Member
    Options

so this is a public feature. cant the agent just (with exact same credentials) just turn off the travel mode? If i am forced to give password, and access it only is one more step to log onto another site. agents who are looking at your password manger are assumed to just not know this public secret

seems like i am missing something.

• @1passquest

In theory, the agent could sign in to 1Password.com with your credentials and turn off Travel Mode, yes. But, this is no different from them compelling you to do the same.

You're right – Travel Mode isn't a secret. It will limit the vaults which are shown on your devices while you travel, but doesn't make any guarantee that a determined adversary could compel you to reveal everything.

If you're worried that's a possibility, I'd advise completely removing 1Password and all its data from your devices while you're travelling.

• 1passquest
    1passquest
    Community Member
    Options

thanks that makes sense

• On behalf of Grey, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.