To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I want to buy 1Password for my mother. What are the possible payment options WITHOUT a credit card?

1PassMicha
1PassMicha
Community Member

Good day,

I've been using 1Password for about 9 months now. I like it so much that I would like to buy 1Password in about 2 weeks on behalf of my mother, who at the age of 79 will have her first modern smartphone perfectly set up & preconfigured by me... then on her behalf would like to buy it for her!

Now I hope that there is some practicable payment option for it without a credit card, such as PayPal or something similar?

Does 1Password give me any bonuses if I sort of refer my mom to 1Password? That would be super cool!

Best regards ... :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @1PassMicha

You can pay for a 1Password membership with a debit or credit card from Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Diners Club, and UnionPay.

Alternatively, if your account is on 1Password.com, you can pay with a 1Password Gift Card. Gift cards can be purchased using a debit or credit card from Visa or Mastercard, or with PayPal. At time of writing, you can buy a $125 USD gift card for $99 USD.

You can then redeem a 1Password gift card to add it as credit to your account: Redeem 1Password Gift Cards.

Hope that helps!

— Grey

• 1PassMicha
    1PassMicha
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Hello @GreyM1P

Thanks for the quick answer, but unfortunately this does not really solve my problem. Because we just don't want to use any credit card etc!

My mothers 1Password account should be created on 1password.eu.

Why is it so difficult for us to pay here in Germany? Why don't you at least offer a payment method with PayPal? I would even voluntarily pay a little more if it was possible with PayPal!

To practically force the customer to use a credit card / gift card with fixed amounts, I find honestly a bit unfair! Here in Germany these are not yet so common, as perhaps in the USA!

Then please at least offer the possibility to buy 1Password for a slightly higher price in the Google Playstore!

Sorry ... but please be a little more customer friendly!

Have a nice evening ... :)

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

@1PassMicha I also live in the EU, and I have a credit card for almost 25 years. It's not because I use it very often, it's because it works like an admission ticket for services outside the EU. Without credit card, it was simply not possible to get anything from oversea at the time. This has changed with Paypal, however there are still services you only get with a credit card - or not at all.

If you have a 1Password account yourself, you're able to pay, so you have probably a credit card yourself. I propose you upgrade your account to a family account and invite your mother to your family account. This will solve multiple things: 1. You're able to pay. 2. You're able to support your mother (recover her account), in case she forgets the account password, 3. It's cheaper than 2 separate standalone accounts.

I have a similar arrangement with my 82 year old father. I pay for the family account, he is a member. I had to recover his account once already, because he managed to change to an unmemorable password and didn't record it properly. A member account of a family account appears to the member almost exactly like a standalone account, so there should be no real difference for her compared to a standalone account.

• 1PassMicha
    1PassMicha
    Community Member

Good day,

sorry... this time I'm going to be tough because I really don't want to buy a credit card just for 1Password! I won't let myself be forced to do this.

That's why I'm going to set up my mother's Smartphone with Google authenticator & forgo 1Password for her!

It's 1Password's own fault & as long as my wishes are not taken into account, 1Password will have to do without a new subscriber!

Best regards ... :)

• @1PassMicha

There's quite a lot of users in Europe who use 1Password.com which would allow you to use PayPal to buy a gift card as Grey mentioned. I myself live in Canada but I use 1Password.com for my personal account rather than 1Password.ca. You can read about the different regions here: 1Password in your region

Is using 1Password.com and a gift card an option that might work for your situation?

-Dave

• 1PassMicha
    1PassMicha
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Sorry ... 1Password.eu is the only option for my mother too ... because we don't want to have our highly sensitive data on an American server!

The "gift vouchers" have the major disadvantage that they can only be purchased for fixed, round amounts, so there is always a remainder. In addition, the procedure for this is rather cumbersome!

Well... as I said above, I'm sticking to my guns & will only book 1Password for my mother if it works the way I want it to, see above!

Have a great evening ... :)

• Thanks for the feedback, @1PassMicha. I'm sorry this isn't currently something we're able to accommodate. I hope we can in the future, and in the meantime you're able to find a solution that you're comfortable with and confident in.

Ben

• 1PassMicha
    1PassMicha
    Community Member

Hello @Ben

what is the reason that 1Password seems to be unable to provide a timely remedy on my behalf & also on behalf of other customers? It is certainly due to the additional costs that 1Password apparently wants to avoid (?).

As I said, if the desired payment method is then a bit more expensive than with credit card or similar, I would be happy to pay the extra!

Everything else is definitely out of the question for me or my mother!

1PassMicha ... :)

• The demand for 1Password.eu gift cards is low, which is why we haven't invested the resources required to make them available there. Most customers who find they would prefer to pay via gift card (e.g. so payment can be made via PayPal) are also satisfied using 1Password.com.

I did have one other thought. We support subscription payments through Apple's App Store on iOS devices, and Google Play on Android devices. If your mother has one of those — I know you mentioned getting her a smartphone — and would be able to subscribe without a credit card that way, that could also be a viable option. To set that up you would need to:

1. Create her a trial account through https://start.1password.eu/sign-up/plan in a web browser on a computer
    2. During the sign-up process print the Emergency Kit for the account
    3. Use the Emergency Kit to sign into the account on one of the aforementioned mobile devices
    4. Set up the subscription in-app

If that would be a workable solution, and you need further assistance getting it set up, I'd recommend reaching out to our billing team via email at support+billing@1password.com. They would be equipped to provide more comprehensive instructions.

Ben

• 1PassMicha
    1PassMicha
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

Thank you for your answer! I'll try it next week like you wrote me ... when my mom comes to visit!

Have a nice evening ... :)

• Thank you. You as well. :)

Ben

• 1PassMicha
    1PassMicha
    Community Member

The payment method via Google Play Store worked perfectly ... so my problem is now solved!

1PassMicha ... :)

• That's wonderful news @1PassMicha Thank you for sharing it with us. With her just getting started please let her know we're here if she has any questions. The same goes for you too. 🙂

Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.