Storing TOTP seeds in 1Password

Options
shhh
shhh
Community Member

I currently use Authy to store my TOTP tokens. Keeping the pros/cons of saving TOTP seeds in a password manager aside for a moment, is there a way to get the TOTP seed (base 32 encoded alphanumeric string) for all my accounts from Authy or do I need to disable 2FA on those sites and re-enable it and remember to grab the QR code or the secret code?

From what I read here I am guessing the latter (which is tedious!) but appreciate if someone can confirm.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

There is a guide how to extract the TOTP secrets from Authy: https://gist.github.com/gboudreau/94bb0c11a6209c82418d01a59d958c93
    It's of course not a recommended or endorsed workflow, neither from Authy nor from 1Password, however according to the comments it seems to do the job.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    Options

Wow that’s some serious reverse engineering. Hope Authy adds an Export feature to facilitate this.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Don't wait for it. Will probably not happen. Migrating away from Authy? Not a desired option by Authy.
    If you want to migrate now, do it that way or recreate every mfa for your accounts, or be prepared to wait indefinitely.

This discussion has been closed.