What does the desktop app do?

eric123
eric123
Community Member

Probably a silly question, but with the desktop browser extensions installed, what is the point or benefit of the desktop app? Sorry for silly newb question and thank you in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @eric123,

The 1Password browser extensions and desktop apps do overlap in some of their functionality, so it's a far question!

The short answer is that the browser extension provides better integration within browsers, while the desktop apps bring the same functionality to apps. Neither are required for the other to function but since they can integrate with each other, we typically recommend using them both so you maintain access to all 1Password features across your device.

In many cases, an action will be possible in both so it's just up to personal preference. For example, say I want to update a password for an existing account. I could do it on that website and let the browser extension suggest a new password and update it for me, but what if I also want to add some notes or change icon for that item? In that case I might prefer a separate, larger window to work from, like the app.

I'll share some links to more information and my personal favourite desktop app features in case you're curious:

Let me know if you give the desktop app a try or if you have any questions. 😊

• eric123
    eric123
    Community Member

Awesome! Thank you!

• Happy to help! 🙂

This discussion has been closed.