To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I want to use a vault to share passwords - I have the family plan; do I need to upgrade to business?

donsalmon
donsalmon
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Memberships

I am trying to use a vault to share passwords with my marketing coach. She told me to purchase 1Password. I started with the personal plan then it was explained to me I couldn't "share" passwords with that plan so I upgraded to Families. I tried creating a vault with my coaches name, tried to send it to her but it's not working.

I have a number of things I'm still going to try, but my question is simple:

Can I share a vault on the Family plan or do I need to upgrade to one of the business plans?

Thank you.

1Password Version: ?????? This is what I don't understand
Extension Version: ??
OS Version: MacOS 11.7
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi there @donsalmon

The short answer here is no, you don't have to use 1Password for Business to share vaults – 1Password Families does that already.

You can't send a vault to somebody, but you can grant them access to it – you remain as the owner of the vault. In the case of your marketing coach, you'll need to add her to your 1Password Families account as a family member or as a guest:

ℹ️ A "full" family member will get their own Private vault, just like yours. If your marketing coach only needs to access one vault (that you specify), she should be added as a guest instead.

Then, when she's been added to your 1Password Families account, you can give her access to the vault you've created:

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    1. Does a Guest use up one of the 5 slots that 1P Families has?
    2. Does the Guest need to create their own 1P account?
    3. Can 1P Families have a combination of Family Member and Guest accounts?
  • @shhh

1. No – you can have a maximum of 5 guests, as well as up to 5 family members.
    2. Yes, but not until they're invited to 1Password Families. They don't need to already be a 1Password customer to be a guest of another customer.
    3. Yes. Up to 5 members, and up to 5 guests.
  • shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

I see. Since individual items can already be shared, looks like the Guest feature is meant to share a bunch of items by putting them in a vault (aka folder) and sharing that vault with a guest. Similar to the LastPass shared folder concept.

Thanks

• @shhh

Exactly. Guests are supposed to get limited access to just one vault without becoming "full" family members. :)

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member

By limited access, you mean read only?

And if I change an item, will the guest see just the latest version and not the item history?

• No they have full access. They would get changes as you make them. Limited access = 1 vault only. They cannot access any other vaults, only the one you specify during the setup process.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member

Let me understand this - The use cases mentioned in the support documentation are

Your accountant, who needs your financial information.
    Your realtor, who needs building codes.
    Your babysitter, who needs household information like the Wi-Fi password and alarm codes.

Take a WiFi password - I have a single item of type [Wireless Router]. I would like only me to have the ability to update the item and share it with

• Family Member 1 (read only)
    • Family Member 2 (read only)
    • Family Member 3 (read only)
    • Babysitter (Guest)

Since an item can only be in a single vault, the only way I can accomplish this is to create a vault with this item and share with the 4 users above. I find it odd that my babysitter would have the ability to change the WiFi password but my family members would not be able to.

Similarly, why would I want to give my babysitter the ability to change the alarm codes?!

Am I missing something?

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member

Commenting to follow this.

• @shhh

To prevent that from happening, you should copy items like the ones you mentioned into the vault which can be accessed by your guest. For example, this might be your setup:

• Your own Private vault containing items that only you use
    • The Shared vault that comes with 1Password Families, to be used by everyone in the family
    • A Financial vault containing a copy of the relevant items for your accountant to use.

Remember, you can choose which vault your guest can access, and you can make a new one expressly for that purpose if you want.

Alternatively, you can remove a guest's ability to edit items in a vault, like this:

So, if you did grant your guest access to the Shared vault, you could do so on a read-only basis. If they might need to edit items, it's probably better to make a new vault just for that purpose, and grant them access to that special vault.

Hope that clears things up, but let me know if I can be of any further help.

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member

Ah Tommy mentioned that guests have full access to the vault. If that can be changed to read only then that works for me. Thanks for clearing that up.

In general, creating as many vaults as number of sharing combinations regardless of items is a little hard for me wrap my head around. I have a separate thread for that and I have come to terms with it. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.