1password 8 cant send credentials to another window or application like 1Password 7

Options

Why is this feature missing? it is far less secure without the feature.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 8 cant send credentials to another window or application like 1Password 7

Comments

• markmendittokyndryl
    markmendittokyndryl
    Community Member
    Options

You can't copy/paste user names and passwords into a Windows RDP window. 1Password 7 is able to send them; not 1Password 8.

• Hi @markmendittokyndryl,

Thanks for your message. 1Password 8 was built from the ground up and some functionality has changed or has yet to implemented. In this case, we're looking at ways to implement an auto-type / type in window functionality in 1Password 8, but we're not quite there yet. I've let the Product team know this is something you'd be interested seeing make it to version 8.

In the meantime, you can open an item in a new window (Ctrl + O) and try dragging and dropping the username/password to the RDP window.

If this is a deal-breaker and you'd like to return to 1Password 7 for Windows while we continue the work with this feature, you can first uninstall version 8 and reinstall version 7 using this direct link: 1Password 7 for Windows - download

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. We'll be here to help!

ref: IDEA-I-193

• markmendittokyndryl
    markmendittokyndryl
    Community Member
    Options

The drag-and-drop works as an acceptable alternative, just a little more work. Thank you for the reply.

• ag_mike_d
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hello @markmendittokyndryl, you're most welcome. Glad to hear this working for you as an alternative while the team continues their work. Have a great day!

• uvFdAtjK
    uvFdAtjK
    Community Member
    Options

Glad to see the team is working on this. I too have a java window that I liked to copy and paste into using the type in window option. The whole point of using a password manager was for the added security of long and or hard to remember passwords being used while copy and paste in any window. I thought it was something on my end. Tried the drag and drop password into the window work around @ag_mike_d mentioned and voila that worked. Truth be told I prefer it over the type in window because sometimes in 7 I didnt send it to the correct window listed in the options where here its a no brainer. Thanks @ag_mike_d

• Hey @uvFdAtK,

You're welcome - I'm happy that reply helped you out with the drag and drop functionality. 😀

Though you'd prefer to drag and drop, I've also included a +1 for you in the type in window feature request we're currently tracking.

Have a great week!

ref: IDEA-I-193

• secureregret
    secureregret
    Community Member
    Options

Phew. Upgraded to 1P v8 and broke my RDP unlock.
    Was getting worried until I found this tip.

This is pretty core functionality for me, but the drag & drop is a good workaround.
    Starring this thread and hoping for a resolution soon! :)

• Hello @secureregret,

Thanks for your message. I'm glad drag and drop is working well for you.

The type in window functionality was added to 1Password 8 for Windows since my last message in this thread. You can right-click on an appropriate field in the app > Type in window.

We're still looking into an auto-type feature, but this is on our roadmap for future implementation. I have no additional news to share but suggest keeping an eye on 1Password Releases for the latest updates.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

This discussion has been closed.