1PASSWORD started crashing immediately upon updating to new version today.

Options
DBVD
DBVD
Community Member

This is super annoying.

1PASSWORD for Windows started crashing immediately upon updating to new version today. I receive the following pop-up window constantly, and when I close it, the 1PASSWORD ICON in System Tray exits.

Windows - Application Error

The instruction at 0x00007FF6A01D1CA3 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000040. The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: Windows 11 fully updated
Browser:_ Firefox 107.0.1

Comments

• Hello @DBVD,

I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've been encountering with 1Password 8 crashing.

If you are at all able to open 1Password, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Otherwise, could follow these instructions to send a copy of the 1Password logs:
    1. In the Windows search bar copy and paste the following and press enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\logs\
    2. Select everything in this folder, and then right-click and choose Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.

Can you then, please attach the diagnostics report or logs to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• gevenden
    gevenden
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same problem. Please advise

• gevenden
    gevenden
    Community Member
    Options

Actually a little different memory addresses. But 1password will not start. Un-Installed and trying to install verion 8 for windows and it is giving 1Password: Windows Application error when trying to install that gives this notice The instructions at 0x0000024729DAB180 referenced memory at 0x0007FF9D7E05AB0. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.

• Hello @gevenden,

Sorry for the delay in response. Have you had any luck with 1Password 8 for Windows since your last reply?

If not, could you also send a diagnostics report from your Windows PC along to support+forum@1password.com with the below details included:

When receive the automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number, let us know here. Thank you!

• xelag
    xelag
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem with udpate 8.9.12 to 8.9.13. When i click "restart now" to complete the update, an error message pops up : "1Password could not complete the installation and will cancel all changes". (translated from the message in French).

I tried several times. And the most disturbing thing is that the message pops up at every start of Windows without any attempt to update 1Password.

• Hi @xelag, thanks for reaching out! The installation rollback errors you're seeing are most often caused by security software preventing 1Password from completing the installation. Are you able to try restarting in Safe Mode with Networking, to see if the update is able to complete successfully there?

If the issue continues in Safe Mode, I'd like to ask you to send in an email to support+forum@1password.com with a zipped copy of your logs - do not post these in the forums. You can retrieve the logs with the steps below:

1. Open the Start Menu, paste this code into the search field, and press Enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    2. Once you've navigated to this location, right-click the Logs folder, click Copy, and paste a copy of that folder onto your desktop.
    3. Right-click the folder on your desktop, click Send To, then Zipped folder.

With your email please include:

You'll receive an automated response from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• xelag
    xelag
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @1P_Gem ,
    Thank you for your answer.
    The problem appears on my professional computer on which I don't have admin rights. I'll have to contact my IT support to reboot my PC in Safe Mode with Networking. Not sure if they will like this...
    Would it be possible to configure your next updates so that they are easier to apply?
    Best regards :)

• Hello @xelag,

Thanks for getting back to us. These types of issues are more common when new updates and versions of 1Password are released. Due to nature of 1Password, as Gem suggested, it's typically security software that causes these types of issues, but normally improve as more users update.

Aside from Safe Mode, having your local IT team configure the security software on your device to exclude 1Password in it's scans, should also help here. If they are able to do so for you, the 1Password directory can be found here - %localappdata%\1Password and the 1Password.exe is here: %localappdata%\1Password\App\8.

I hope this information helps, but if you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.