1Password will not update

Options
ITXinNC
ITXinNC
Community Member

I've had this issue ever since I installed 1Password - it will NOT update. Std user, admin permissions, admin user. It always gets about 80% done then fails. Have seen many people with this issue, but no real solution. Tried removed local appdata directory, restarting, etc. Last time this happened, it eventually updated after repeated tries. But this seems excessive - I cannot get it to update, even after removing it. Browser extension works fine, but desktop is not reliable to update at all. This is on Win 11. Nothing special...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• ITXinNC
    ITXinNC
    Community Member
    Options

Worked in Safe Mode. Antivirus doesn't show any kind of detection, but we run EDR, so maybe the hyper detect is blocking it. Can't imagine why 1PW would be triggering security software trying to install or update...

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    Options

Unless I'm mistaken, EDR is used by businesses.
    Do you have the 1Password Business version?

• Hi @ITXinNC,

Thanks for your message and getting back to us with this update. I'm glad to hear this update worked in Safe Mode.

This is something we commonly see with new and updated versions of 1Password. Security software can lock down the 1Password folder causing the message in your screenshot, from your original post.

Moving forward, to help with future updates, you can try excluding the entire 1Password folder and the 1Password.exe in any security software you have running and then rebooting your device. The 1Password directory can be found here - %localappdata%\1Password and the 1Password.exe is here: %localappdata%\1Password\App\8.

I hope this information helps, but if you need further assistance, just let us know. We'll be here for you.

• boblu
    boblu
    Community Member
    Options

hi, I'm a 1password8 user on windows, and I have the exactly same issue here.
    Unfortunately, I am using a PC given by my company, where I cannot setup exclusion of 1password folder in security software.
    Any other solution about this?

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @boblu! I'm sorry to hear that you're running into this issue as well. Have you been able to try Safe Mode to see if the app is able to update successfully there?

It may also be worth reaching out to your IT team to see if they're willing to add exclusions on your behalf, or temporarily disable the software each time you need to update 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.