Face Unlock option Greyed out in Security settings

Options
Yackandandah
Yackandandah
Community Member

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21+
I've updated to the App version 8.9
Under security the Face Unlock option is greyed out and can't be turned on.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the app
I've deleted biometric data and re-added.

Its working fine to unlock the phone - how do we get the option available in the app ?

Thanks

1Password Version: 8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Yackandandah,

Would the Biometric option you have enabled to unlock your device be fingerprint unlock?

If not and if you only have Face Unlock enabled as an unlock option on your device, on a number of devices, face unlock isn't as secure as fingerprint unlock, and so 1Password only supports the more secure fingerprint unlock feature in these cases.

If you enable fingerprint unlock on your device, are you then able to enable the Face Unlock/Fingerprint Unlock option in the 1Password 8 for Android app?

• Hexrays
    Hexrays
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same phone. I am able to unlock the phone with either pattern, finger or face. 1Password app however only lets me choose finger to unlock.

• Hi @Hexrays, thanks for following up with us.

To unlock 1Password for Android with facial biometry, the Android device must have Class 3 biometric implementation for face unlock. There are a few factors there but the biggest tends to be IR or other depth sensing technology to scan facial biometry. The vast majority of Android devices rely on the camera alone for Face unlock which means they will not meet the Class 3 requirement and could possibly be tricked by a photo or video.

Due to this, Fingerprint unlock is the only biometric unlock option available with 1Password for Android on most devices.

Let me know if there's anything else we can help with!

• Xhorokx
    Xhorokx
    Community Member
    Options

Thankyou 1pass for enabling arbitrary restrictions to lock out certain users. As someone who physically can't use fingerprints to unlock my device (skin condition), it's comforting to know I'm excluded from using biometrics and am forced to type a 16 character password literally every time I want to log in. Makes me wonder what is the point of using the app at all.

• Hi @Xhorokx, thanks for sharing your feedback. I'm sorry for the trouble here and I can understand your frustration.

While it's not Biometric unlock, I did want to mention that we will be adding PIN unlock as a quick unlock alternative in the not-so-distant future. If there's anything I can help with at this time, just let me know.

This discussion has been closed.