Data portability across password managers

shhh
shhh
Community Member

To 1Password's credit, the 1PUX export format allows us to export all our data out from 1Password including attachments in a well-documented format. From what I can see, BitWarden is the only other password manager that is able to import this format.

Curious - Are there effort underway at an industry level to explore data portability across password managers and come up with a standard format so customers can switch providers easily? I realize the incentives are not exactly aligned here but thought I would ask!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member

Any update?

• Hi @shhh

I'm not aware of any such industry-wide effort. I would argue that our exports are the most comprehensive and easiest to work with, but I suppose that is up for debate. 🙂 Most of the industry is stuck on non-standardized CSV files. These are less than ideal because while they are easily parsed into columns and rows by just about any spreadsheet software, they do not accommodate datasets that don't hit neatly into columns and rows. As an example: custom fields. If you add just one custom field to one of your items, with CSV you have to now account for that custom field on every item. It quickly gets out of hand and becomes difficult to parse.

Ben

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member

Yup, agreed. Please consider initiating such industry-wide efforts to make 1PUX (or equivalent) a standard format to facilitate data portability. Thanks!

• @shhh

Thank you for the input. 😃

Ben

This discussion has been closed.